100lb propane to air?

/ 100lb propane to air? #11  
I would check craigslist or similar for an older air tank from a 30gal compressor would be a way better setup. Propane weighs about 4.2lbs per gallon, so a 100lb tank will hold 23 gallons.

thirty gal air tanks are VERY common and I've seen them actually free on CL, the highest is about $40. Plus you already have fittings, and many still have the wheels on them, at least in the pics.

/ 100lb propane to air?
Hello

Worthington Cylinders 100 lb. Propane Cylinder
Item #: 28370 | Model #: 303953

$117.00

From the Lowes web site
Ahhh thats why the link doesnt work the prces vary across the country that tank cost $93.45 here.They made me put in a zip code.:D

/ 100lb propane to air? #13  
If you decide to go with a used cylinder and want to check its' integrity it can be hydro tested with water, (hydro :D ) a grease gun and gauge. But for convenience I would think having the tire leaks repaired and a smaller tank would be my choice because of tank weight. I've made several from freon bottles and prefer them over thinner cheap purchased tanks.

And depending on your welding skills a larger cylinder can be made from multiple freon bottles.

Last edited:
   / 100lb propane to air? #14  
Nope, they are designed to 240 or 250 psi depending on the standard the tank was built to. The have to be inspected and hydro tested on a timeline (every 5 years is it?), and they don't have much corrosion allowance in the tank design. I can't find the relief valve setting.

I converted a 40 LBS aluminum propane tank to an air pig many many years ago,and I still use it to this day. You need to rise it with varsol etc as they us a harmless agent for smell in ( natural gas ) and I think they add it to propane ( mercaptan ). My cousin who worked as a propane installer said the tanks are safety valved to 350 PSI. If the tank looks poor do not use it.
Craig Clayton

/ 100lb propane to air? #15  
Volume

100#/4.11#/gal x 1.25 (80% max liquid fill)= 24 GAL.

/ 100lb propane to air? #16  
Having just converted a air tank to a gas tank I second the no paint on inside. One reason I converted the tank was, got tired of going back and forth to aircompressor and just bought a longer air hose and some quick connects so found a better use for the air pig. You might be able to use it to top up 4 tires but I doubt you could fill two deflated tires on a truck. I would plan on putting tires on this tank :)

/ 100lb propane to air? #17  
i have 20# tank that i have been using for quite a few years. i have my compressor set to 110 psi.

if a 16" truck tire is right flat, it will put enough air in it to roll with the weight of a vehicle on it, but not fill it right up.

/ 100lb propane to air? #18  
I will go with the 250 LBS rating and on the forklift tanks I removed or altered what I did not need. As the tanks are all out of date and as long as we do not get near the max it should be ok. If the rating is 250LBS what is the burst , x2, x3 .
Craig Clayton

/ 100lb propane to air? #20  
I will go with the 250 LBS rating and on the forklift tanks I removed or altered what I did not need. As the tanks are all out of date and as long as we do not get near the max it should be ok. If the rating is 250LBS what is the burst , x2, x3 .

you must have a pretty scary compressor to get 250 psi:D