1050 FEL Control Valve Question

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question #1  

MoparSteve

Tractor
John Deere 1050
First post :)

Hopefully looking for some info on replacing the oem fel dual control valve with a joystick type. I know it's an open hydraulic system but honestly I don't have much experience with tractor hydraulics and I was hoping someone could tell me what joystick controller will work with my tractor. Just don't want to buy the wrong one then end up having problems.

Many thanks!

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question #2  
Welcome to TBN
It is open center hydraulics

Check out Surplus Center for joy stick controllers. Also for some primer resource for hydraulics.

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I looked at the link you provided and need to know, how many spools do I need for the lift and tilt function? Again, not very knowledgeable about hydraulics!

Thanks again.

I guess everyone is like me, just don't know.

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question #5  
I think most people are surprised at your last question. What you have now is no doubt a two spool valve. One spool for each function, so a replacement whether it's dual handle or joystick type will also need to be a two spool. No larger than a 10 GPM for your application.

Well, if you want to know how to install and wire a 240V generator with a breaker box onto your fire truck, I'm your guy, if you want to know how to rebuild an NV5600 trans, I'm your guy, but if you want to know how to replace a hydraulic control for your tractor bucket, I'm not your guy! Thanks for the reply Harry, I really do appreciate it!

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question #7  
MoparSteve
Did you not find the Surplus Center hydraulic info helpful?

MoparSteve
Did you not find the Surplus Center hydraulic info helpful?
Yes, it was helpful and I do plan on ordering a joystick from them. TY!

/ 1050 FEL Control Valve Question #10  
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. I looked at the link you provided and need to know, how many spools do I need for the lift and tilt function? Again, not very knowledgeable about hydraulics!

Thanks again.

Each spool controls one function. They are called spool valves because if you take them out of the housing they look like the old wooden spools that sewing thread was wound on.

A dual control valve is a bank of two spool valves. Each spool valve has three positions. In the middle it just allows the hydraulic pressure to return to the sump. Moved one way it will cause all the cylinders it is hooked to to extend, moved the other way and they will all contract.

Usually one spool controls the two bucket cylinders and the other spool controls the two lift arm cylinders. So you need a control valve with two spools.

The spools can be controlled individually with individual finger levers - that's probably what you have now. It's tricky to work a front end loader with individual levers for a couple of reasons: First off, small tractors often don't have enough hydraulic flow to do two functions at once. Without extra flow, you canboth at once by barely opening each spool, but that brings up another problem in that cheaper contol valves often don't have their machining accurate enough to meter low flow well when just barely opened.

I happen to like individual lever controls, but only if they are hooked to a high dollar control valve with good low speed control. I build rock walls with a backhoe, and want to be able to move the bucket tip half an inch at full power but very slowly.
Your needs might be different.

A joystick is just a device with some ball joints and monkey motion that operates both levers at the same time. Your fingers can do the same thing - it's just training. Like playing a musical instrument. For my use, a joystick can never be as accurate as levers because there are extra joints in a joystick & each one has a tiny bit of slop. Again, your use may be entirely different.

It would help if we knew why you want to change the control valve.
rScotty