10kw PTO generator vs 16kw

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #1  

ColoradoBound

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4140HC
I don't even have my tractor yet so I am looking for sage advise from those who may know.

On the same 40hp tractor with the same light load on each would a 16w PTO generator use more fuel than a 10kw? I have been thinking about getting a 16kw PTO generator but looking at my normal proposed loads I could probably get away with 10kw. I would probably get the 16kw for future expansion if it would not use more fuel loaded to same level as the 10kw.

The house I am going to be moving to is 100% off grid solar so I will be using the generator to top up/equalize the batteries but I am also going to be using it to power my woodworking shop (hobby) so having the larger generator would let me get more toys in the future :)

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #2  
Under the same load the difference in fuel consumption would be negligible.
You might want to rethink using a tractor as a generator. Especially when you plan to use the generator on a regular basis.
That is a lot of engine to run a 16kw generator and the tractor will be unavailable for other uses.
With total solar you may be running the tractor for days during prolonged cloudiness.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #3  
Think it depends on whether you have to run it @ PTO speed to get the cycles right. You probably do. Think a big tractor like that would use a lot of fuel @ PTO speed whether fully loaded or not.

My Isuzu 12.5 kw diesel generator uses 0.2 gph. Figure its average required output is 2 kw, as that was our average over the years.

Ralph

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #4  
Will use the same amount of fuel with the same load, but the bigger generator will run cooler and more than likely last longer...

Personally, I really like pto generators...

SR

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #5  
I have a PTO 10K generator powered by a 44HP tractor;emergency use only.So about a gallon per hour to run at PTO speed.I don't think to cost effective for more than emergency use.
I have friends that are total solar;they installed a propane fueled generator;I would think this would make more sense in your application or a stand-alone diesel unit.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #6  
My tractor sits in the shed waiting for the opportunity to do tractor things. My generator is mounted on a concrete pad and plumbed/ wired to the house.
Take a look at the stand by generators before you buy a pro model.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #7  
A 10kw generator takes about 13hp at full load, a 16kw takes about 21 hp. That size tractor is not really even going to notice them at PTO speed. It will take more fuel to run the tractor at PTO speed than the generators.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw
You might want to rethink using a tractor as a generator. Especially when you plan to use the generator on a regular basis.
That is a lot of engine to run a 16kw generator and the tractor will be unavailable for other uses.
With total solar you may be running the tractor for days during prolonged cloudiness.

I have friends that are total solar;they installed a propane fueled generator;I would think this would make more sense in your application or a stand-alone diesel unit.

I have thought about having a propane standby generator but the house is at 8000' and pretty cold in the winter. So not only is it another engine to maintain but it also gets derated due to the altitude. But the tractor I am looking at has a turbo so loses no power due to altitude. The tractor is not going to get that much use so having it hooked up to the generator every now and then is not going to be a problem. Plus the solar system is going to have 3 days of reserve capacity for those cloudy days so I would only need to hook up the generator for a few hours every few days if there was no sun for an extended period, unless I wanted to use the shop. I don't use my shop all that often so running it off of the generator does not bother me on the fuel usage front and it keeps me from having to greatly increase the size of the solar system and associated cost.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #9  
With all the loss' to run one, it will take 20 pto hp to max out a 10kw genset. And a 16kw will take 32 pto hp...

But of course, you can run a big genset on a smaller tractor, you just can't pull max out of it.

SR

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #10  
If you are only going to top off batteries with it, you might not have to run at pto speed. Your inverter may be happy at reduced frequency and voltage similar to using it as a pure heat source. My Honda EU6500IS would be my recommendation.