10kw PTO generator vs 16kw

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #11  
I have thought about having a propane standby generator but the house is at 8000' and pretty cold in the winter. So not only is it another engine to maintain but it also gets derated due to the altitude. But the tractor I am looking at has a turbo so loses no power due to altitude. The tractor is not going to get that much use so having it hooked up to the generator every now and then is not going to be a problem. Plus the solar system is going to have 3 days of reserve capacity for those cloudy days so I would only need to hook up the generator for a few hours every few days if there was no sun for an extended period, unless I wanted to use the shop. I don't use my shop all that often so running it off of the generator does not bother me on the fuel usage front and it keeps me from having to greatly increase the size of the solar system and associated cost.

Might want to consider a 3 phase Winco generator available in 540 or 1000 rpm models. While larger you can still use the same tractorif you don't overload it. This would allow you to meet your single phase loads you mention and still have three phase available for wood shop motors. Lots of good deals on used wood working equipment that is three phase since most hobby shops don't have it available. Winco has a 40 or 45kw three phase model around $4000.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #12  
Might want to consider a 3 phase Winco generator available in 540 or 1000 rpm models. While larger you can still use the same tractorif you don't overload it. This would allow you to meet your single phase loads you mention and still have three phase available for wood shop motors. Lots of good deals on used wood working equipment that is three phase since most hobby shops don't have it available. Winco has a 40 or 45kw three phase model around $4000.

If you should later decide that you do not want to keep your $4000 3 phase generator, there is always the other potential use for it.
You can truck it to either coast, add some chain, and use it as a boat mooring.
"Lots of good deals on used wood working equipment that is three phase".... because virtually nobody wants 3 phase power for residential use.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #13  
As previously stated the fuel difference is of no significance. The larger generator will start motor loads with less frequency drop and less voltage drop. The larger generator is also more tolerant of unbalanced load.
For consumer grade generators . Good practice is to not continuously load the current beyond 80% of the nameplate maximum.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw
As previously stated the fuel difference is of no significance. The larger generator will start motor loads with less frequency drop and less voltage drop. The larger generator is also more tolerant of unbalanced load.
For consumer grade generators . Good practice is to not continuously load the current beyond 80% of the nameplate maximum.

I think I will end up with the larger generator since that is what I had already put in the budget anyway.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #15  
If you should later decide that you do not want to keep your $4000 3 phase generator, there is always the other potential use for it.
You can truck it to either coast, add some chain, and use it as a boat mooring.
"Lots of good deals on used wood working equipment that is three phase".... because virtually nobody wants 3 phase power for residential use.

What is your point? Kind of a worthless comment you posted. Whether the OP would want the option of three phase equipment in his shop should be up to him. That would be an option he can consider based on his needs. In a small shop with only homeowner tools he won't need three phase, if he has larger plans in mind three phase could be a benefit. It all depends on your needs and circumstances.

I don't want or need a 3 phase generator since I have most of my shop tools already and they are all single phase. So the extra expense of a 3 phase generator would be wasted.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #17  
Living at 8400' in the Colo mountains I recommend the following since you're off grid.

If you can get regular deliveries of propane go with a 500 gal tank and the largest back-up style genny you can afford. Much less hassle than any other type. If you can't get propane delivered go with diesel and invest in a bulk fuel storage system

Then get a 12-15 kV PTO powered genny as back-up. I have one from Harbor Freight and they work well for running bigger tools in the field (think welder)

Lastly get a smaller portable gas powered unit.

This gives you redundancy and you're not having to fire up your tractor to run the table saw.

FWIW, unless you're going to be farming large plots, I don't see the need for a turbo tractor. Due to altitude people on TBN recommended a turbo when I made inquiries here. Instead I opted for a 45 hp CT445 over the 40 hp CT440. After 5+ years of use I can say the CT450 has more than enough power for any chores needed on our 40+ acres.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #18  
What is your point? Kind of a worthless comment you posted. Whether the OP would want the option of three phase equipment in his shop should be up to him. That would be an option he can consider based on his needs. In a small shop with only homeowner tools he won't need three phase, if he has larger plans in mind three phase could be a benefit. It all depends on your needs and circumstances.

My point ("worthless comment") is that 3 phase tools, and a 3 phase power source for homeowner use is not a wise investment.
Of course, that choice "should be up to him".
The OP concurs that 3 phase power would not be an appropriate choice for him.

/ 10kw PTO generator vs 16kw #19  
I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of buying a PTO generator.

A stand alone gasoline genset is cheaper, uses less fuel, and won't rack up hours on an expensive machine.

I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of buying a PTO generator.

A stand alone gasoline genset is cheaper, uses less fuel, and won't rack up hours on an expensive machine.

I have a few reasons that I think a PTO generator is worth it.

1. I do not want a gasoline generator because gasoline goes bad too quickly.
2. The good propane generators I was looking at were more expensive than the PTO generator I am looking at
3. I do not want another engine to maintain
4. The tractor is not going to get that much use so I will need to put some hours on it. Why not do that with a generator
5. I am currently a lowlander but in all the reading about derating engines at altitude I don't want to take a chance on a non-turbo engine.
6. If I need power out in the field it is easier to just hook up the 3pt generator and to find some way to carry the "regular" generator out to where I need it.

I will give you the "uses less fuel" point.