12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #161  
You like working on things. My friend doesn’t. He also takes exceptional care of his things. He only had one truck, which he needed to depend on so that he could work away from home 4-5 days per week. He banked his mileage checks, used his GM card for gas, meals, and motels so accumulated a pretty good amount toward the new truck. They were paid for when he drove them off the lot He never had to worry about being off warranty; or even buying tires. Gas, oil changes and insurance were the only things he worried about.
Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it won’t work for everybody.

Considering how much down time I had in the same period of time because of stupid things like U-joints, transmissions, and other miscellaneous crap; I would also have been better off buying new and trading often. A manufacturer warranty is a wonderful thing. When you’re 500 miles from home, changing brakes or a fuel pump in the motel parking lot isn’t much fun. I also was driving 50,000 miles/year.

Another colleague found out the hard way how expensive a breakdown can be; he worked in NY for two weeks and his Subaru lost the drive line on the way home. The entire profit was eaten up the repair bill, as well as by motel fees while he waited for his car to be repaired. I was lucky, considering the places I used to travel. I was never more than 30 miles from home when I had a break down I couldn’t fix. But I did lose a lot of money to down time.

So why trade a vehicle every 6 months if the warranty is 3 or more years? I’m not criticizing you.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #162  
So why trade a vehicle every 6 months if the warranty is 3 or more years? I’m not criticizing you.
The warranty runs out at 36,000 miles. He traded as soon as he hit that mileage. Often it was less than a year.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #163  
The warranty runs out at 36,000 miles. He traded as soon as he hit that mileage. Often it was less than a year.
Wow! Thats some freakin driving there!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!
Oldest son in law was same way. He always bought used and worked on them constantly. New engine in his pickup. New transmission in the pickup he borrowed from his dad. He got a job that provided him with a work pickup that he picked up from the dealer new and never had a single breakdown in three years. Job left him (moved shop out of the area) and he got a job where he HAD to be there on time every day. Bought a used diesel something online and it might have lasted six weeks until he was waiting for parts. I told him to quit messing around and get something reliable or he was gonna lose his job. Loaned him my pickup until he bought a new Ford F150 that has been trouble free for several years now.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #165  
Most breakdowns can be avoided by simple PM. A u joint usually gives plenty of warning that it is time to replace vibrations clunking etc. When I change my oil, I go over the hole truck greasing it and shaking ware components. Good look at wiring under hood.

I guess that's why I get 500k out of a truck and others can't get 100k out of theirs. It's nice not to have a truck payment for 20 years.🍻

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #166  
Oldest son in law was same way. He always bought used and worked on them constantly. New engine in his pickup. New transmission in the pickup he borrowed from his dad. He got a job that provided him with a work pickup that he picked up from the dealer new and never had a single breakdown in three years. Job left him (moved shop out of the area) and he got a job where he HAD to be there on time every day. Bought a used diesel something online and it might have lasted six weeks until he was waiting for parts. I told him to quit messing around and get something reliable or he was gonna lose his job. Loaned him my pickup until he bought a new Ford F150 that has been trouble free for several years now.
A lot of that comes down to buying the RIGHT used truck.

A used ford well... their days are number from the moment they are built.

Chevy with MDS, plan on lifters.

03-06 Cummins 2wd manual trans, plan on pulling the head maybe at 500,000k per cummins recommendation and putting a clutch in it ever once in a great while.

I have 2 old f350s. They are the harbor freight of trucks. Built cheap and are cheap to fix. But royal POS.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #167  
I ordered a 2023 Buick Enclave in September 2022 and have heard nothing from the dealer since. I stopped in to talk to them yesterday and was told the order is still in que. They also said there is a good possibility the order won't make it into production before the 2022 model year closes. They suggest I place an order for a 2024 model as soon as orders are accepted.

I went online and found several vehicles equipped the way I want in various locations within a 200 mile drive. The dealer is now trying to see if they can get their hands on one. It's a pretty small chance they'll succeed but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!
Most breakdowns can be avoided by simple PM. A u joint usually gives plenty of warning that it is time to replace vibrations clunking etc. When I change my oil, I go over the hole truck greasing it and shaking ware components. Good look at wiring under hood.

I guess that's why I get 500k out of a truck and others can't get 100k out of theirs. It's nice not to have a truck payment for 20 years.🍻

Chevy with MDS, plan on lifters.

03-06 Cummins 2wd manual trans, plan on pulling the head maybe at 500,000k per cummins recommendation and putting a clutch in it ever once in a great while.

I have 2 old f350s. They are the harbor freight of trucks. Built cheap and are cheap to fix. But royal POS.

I understand what both of you are saying. BUT the situation my SIL found himself in was that he couldn't miss work for a vehicle being down. He was working many hours and if he was to sleep he didn't have time to work on a vehicle as he had in the past. Also my daughter was tired of him spending all his free time working on a vehicle instead of spending time with the kids or her. He had landed a great job and was making good money so he needed something he could depend on every day. Before he got the new F150 he had to borrow mine to make a 4-1/2 hour drive for training. Didn't trust any of his three vehicles to make it there and back. Yep, he had three vehicles at one time just so he could have something to drive. He was/is a very capable mechanic but learned very quickly that buying a used truck with over 150,000 miles usually meant he had to do some work on it.

Everybody's situation is different. I always made sure my wire and daughters had something fairly new and reliable to drive. They were involved in so many things during school and college that they were on the road constantly. My personal vehicles tend to be the oldest in the family and I have to start having trouble with them (doesn't happen very often) or my priorities change before I trade.

It is all about your priorities. My SIL's priorities changed when he landed the job doing what he had always wanted to do and he not only had a wife but two young girls he needed to spend time with.

RSKY

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #169  
Oldest son in law was same way. He always bought used and worked on them constantly. New engine in his pickup. New transmission in the pickup he borrowed from his dad. He got a job that provided him with a work pickup that he picked up from the dealer new and never had a single breakdown in three years.

Don't know what's supposed to be so bad about Ford trucks. Not really a Ford guy myself but sure see a lot of old ones on the road.

But you're right about buying wisely. You've got to check out a used vehicle before you buy, unless you know the seller personally you don't know how well it was taken care of. I always buy used and have never gotten a bad one yet.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #170  

Good friend of mine has an '02 7.3L Super Duty with 475,000 miles on it. That's because of driving skills and maintenance. Has less to do with brand of vehicle.