12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #11  
I think about this situation often. I can't decide the end game.

1. Are we now to expect to have long delays and wait times for things not on the shelf?
2. Will we bounce back from this and go back to the days of instant gratification?

Wondering minds want to know.....
I think it will be a partial return to normal in the next 12-18 months. Ford is constantly advertising here to order your vehicle and lock in your rate. With the chip shortage almost non-existent, I think they have a large volume of vehicles waiting for the chips/options to be installed and sent where ever they are ordered.
Most vehicles now come with a lot of the options installed, just not plugged in or activated, so if they have a bunch sitting in the yard, it comes down to pick your colors and options, they select one and activate/plug in the options and ship once they have a full truck for that route.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #14  
I bought a new Tacoma last Oct. I waited about 3 months for one to come in I wanted. It came with stuff on it I really wouldn’t have asked for. Like a tonneau recover ($600) and $120 for nitrogen in the tires, $200 for mud guards. But if you want the truck, there it is, if not I’ll call the next guy and he’ll buy it. I told the salesman, do you think I got a bottle of nitrogen at home, what the heck !!? He told me that it will never be like it was before covid, they don’t have to have $500,000 of inventory on the lot, they don’t have to wash 100 cars once a month. They don’t have to worry about moving inventory that’s been sitting there for months. Those days are over he said. I believe him.
LOL we will never see 5% cd's or another conventional war...........

I predict there will be peace in europe (then a war)
The market will go up (and down)
car salesman will be correct about something:)
and a bunch of other stuff

those days are over sounds like someone that may not have been around too long.

Best,

ed

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #15  
I can’t wait until we have a recession… the lots fill up… and people stop buying. It’s time for a reset… and it will be glorious to watch dealers of all kinds, sweat a little.
I agree. They don't call it Depression anymore, it's too depressing. So they call it Reset. Let's get it going.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #16  
I'm still trying to figure out the "advantage" of Nitrogen. From everything I've read, it's just another way for somebody to take more of your money.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #17  
I told the salesman, do you think I got a bottle of nitrogen at home
If you have a compressor, you do. Since the air we breathe has almost 80% nitrogen. That's why nitrogen filled tires are a dealer rip-off. It would only make a real difference if you regularly traveled 120+mph or raced.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #18  
That's what I found when I bought my Colorado. Salesmen were so busy they didn't care if they talked to you or not. I called and asked about a new Ranger I'd been looking at, "Yep, We've still got it." I took the afternoon off and drove 50 miles... "Oh, we sold that 2 weeks ago."

There was no such thing as a Tacoma, unless you wanted a v-6 auto which gets worse mileage than my company Silverado.
I looked at a '93 SR5... $20,000 for a 27 YO truck. No thanks, we were so far apart it wasn't even worth talking to them.

I finally drove 175 miles to look at a new Colorado... They supposedly sold it while I was on my way down. They had a low mileage 2 YO Colorado for a reasonable price which hadn't been prepped yet... I wrote a deposit for $1000 on the spot. Car Fax suggested there may have been some type of damage to the passenger side so I called and asked him about it. "No, they don't know what they are talking about. Do you want me to send your check back?" I had a signed piece of paper from the original owner stating that it had nevr been in an accident, so I bought it.*
That was 2 1/2 years ago... it seems like it's only gotten worse.

*Carfax indicated that it may or may not have been accident damage. After driving it for a couple of years the paint started peeling off the passenger side rocker panel; there was no primer underneath. Most likely it had been worn from somebody getting in and out of the vehicle, so the original owner had a cheap touch up job done.
Yeah I don't trust Carfax anymore .

My niece was looking at a newer used RAM 1500 and wanted my opinion , said get the CARFAX.

She did and it said clean, no reported repairs or accidents.

When actually checked it out in person the truck bed was not sitting level.

Got under the front end and the main Control arm crossmember had Obviously been replaced along with several other front end suspension parts.!

Obvious body repaint over spray under the hood on the fenders.

Couldn't believe they were that dishonest, so cheap and also incompetent at the repairs.

They apologized and was a no sale... , but I wonder if the next unsuspecting buyer got screwed.

Last edited:
   / 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #19  
I can't fathom buying a new vehicle in this market, it's absolutely insane. It hurt enough buying my F350 in November; almost $40k for a truck with over 100k miles, yet less painful than ~$60k for the equivalent new.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #20  
I'm still trying to figure out the "advantage" of Nitrogen. From everything I've read, it's just another way for somebody to take more of your money.
I've read that tires are semi-porous and that oxygen will diffuse through the rubber over time, but nitrogen will not. So the theory which supposedly justifies the rip off is if you put only nitrogen in the tires they won't leak down over time as fast as if you had compressed air in there.
The ironic clincher here is that when using compressed air to fill up tires periodically like the average Joe you're concentrating nitrogen in the tire over time because the oxygen is the only bit that leaks out