1401 problem

/ 1401 problem #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
Yesterday I was mowing with my 1401 and the engine died, started again and died. I drained the tank, replaced filter and refueled with fresh fuel. the tractor started and ran fine for over 3 hrs. Today it did the same thing and I thought it may have gotten air. I bled the two screws at the filter but nothing. I removed the three tubes to the injectors and turned the engine over several times. The back tube is the only one squirting fuel, nothing on the other two. I can't find any other places to bleed and the manual doesn't indicate any other places. Where do I go from here? Thanks for any help.

/ 1401 problem #2  
Normal bleed is the screw at the filter inlet (nearest tank), then right screw on filter, then the third screw down where the inlet enters the injector pump. The dealers who post here advise there is no need to open a line beyond the injector pump.

But it shouldn't lose prime after a successful start, so I wonder if some debris got into the pump - ?

/ 1401 problem #3  
Make sure the fuel tank is FULL to the top. I have a 1401 as well and could not get a proper prime in fuel system till I had a full tank. Since then its great...

/ 1401 problem
Thanks for the help. It was the bleed screw behind the radiator antifreeze recovery bottle. I bled it and the tractor started and is running great.