$150.00 post driver.

/ $150.00 post driver. #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
Went to California to help my brother-n-law build a hydraulic post driver. We incorporated the back of the fork lift attachment I built for him.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/347241-fork-attachment-build.html?highlight= The weight is just under 300-pounds.
He has 20-acres of shale rock. So we took an old truck axle he had, and ground a point on it. When he hits some shale, he will just drive the axle in the hole to break up the shale rock. Then drive the T-post.
I didn't get a lot of detail pictures:eek:. We built a follower that slides under the striker plate for T-posts, and for wood posts. It works great!:cool2:

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 935
  • Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 782
  • Right side 2.jpg
    Right side 2.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 645
  • Left side bottom.jpg
    Left side bottom.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 714
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 625
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 671
  • Gimble right side.jpg
    Gimble right side.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 734
  • Hammer.jpg
    Hammer.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 681
  • Drive 1.jpg
    Drive 1.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 785
  • Drive 2.jpg
    Drive 2.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 717
   / $150.00 post driver. #2  
Is it an impact driver, or does it use hydraulic downforce?

/ $150.00 post driver.
We plumbed into to the hose used for his grapple. The hydraulic cylinder picks up the weight, then he pushes the other button, and the weight free falls. The hydraulic cylinder is single acting.

/ $150.00 post driver. #4  
with 300 pounds one drop would all most drive a t post, 4 feet in the ground, around here, (unless the ground was froze or extremely dry)

my wood post driver (think the weight is in the 300 pound range) and this spring will drive a 6" wood post in just a few drops,

but when the ground is dry I would drive a 3" steel pipe with a taper point to break rocks and make a pilot hole.

that must be some hard ground for that much of a driver for a tee post,

/ $150.00 post driver. #5  
Awesome build, SA! That's a very clever set up!

Needs a loggers eye on the cable, though.:laughing:

/ $150.00 post driver.
I just rolled a farmer's eye on the dead end:eek:.

/ $150.00 post driver. #7  
I built one for the bed of my truck. I think the weight is about 330#. I drive square and round corner post 4' in the ground with ease.

For T posts I have a hydraulic jackhammer and pipe t post adapter for using the jackhammer.

/ $150.00 post driver. #8  
I'm confused on how the cylinder pics up the weight and then releases it. Any chance of a video of it in operation?

/ $150.00 post driver. #9  
Went to California to help my brother-n-law build a hydraulic post driver. We incorporated the back of the fork lift attachment I built for him.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/347241-fork-attachment-build.html?highlight= The weight is just under 300-pounds.
He has 20-acres of shale rock. So we took an old truck axle he had, and ground a point on it. When he hits some shale, he will just drive the axle in the hole to break up the shale rock. Then drive the T-post.
I didn't get a lot of detail pictures:eek:. We built a follower that slides under the striker plate for T-posts, and for wood posts. It works great!:cool2:

Let me know the next time you're out this way. You can swing by and build something for me anytime. Wanna try your hand at a stump grinder? I could also use from forks and I'm sure I can think up some other stuff too.

/ $150.00 post driver.
I'm confused on how the cylinder pics up the weight and then releases it. Any chance of a video of it in operation?
My brother-n-law has a grandson who could take a video of it working. And post it. I was concerned that the 3/8-inch opening in the cylinder, and 3/8-inch hose would not be able to drain the hydraulic oil back fast enough. Boy was I wrong!:eek: The weight falls very fast:cool:.

Let me know the next time you're out this way. You can swing by and build something for me anytime. Wanna try your hand at a stump grinder? I could also use from forks and I'm sure I can think up some other stuff too.
Good deal!:thumbsup: I'm always looking for projects to build. But I'm terrible at designing things. You draw it up, chances are I can build it.;)