150 years worth of Gopher mounds

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #51  
Where in East Texas are you? I'm between Crockett and Palestine and have the same gopher problem.

In my case, after trying to poison them out, I just live with them. Like you said, the grass grows through and they don't bother the cows. I just drive slowly.

The equipment, fuel and time it takes to poison and renovate pastures is such that the juice does not seem worth the squeeze. But I could be wrong, I often am.

If it was a golf course, I would feel differently.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #52  
I've looking for a poison attachment for a tractor at the moment. Gonna poison in a grid pattern after getting it smooth and then I'll just have the new mounds to knock down til their dead.
I'd be a little leary of poison as it's non-selective, other wildlife will be effected.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #53  
If you are running cattle on the property here is a compromise that will help.

It's a good idea to break up cow poop with a pipe drag. The pipe drag will also knock down gopher mounds. Over time, it will flatten the ground.

A gang of tires can also be used as a drag. They can usually be obtained for free.

I'm no whale hugger, but discs and shanks break up the soil and release carbon. The pipe drag skids over the turf. It is more environmentally friendly.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds
Thanks for all the replies. A couple things...

No I'm not poisoning any animals other than gophers. Lol
I've done some tests with a box blade with scarifiers behind a tiny kubota just because it was easier for me to haul out there and it does ok. It does great on the brand new mounds and what look like last year's mounds. But it doesn't get the mounds that are way down deep (yes I know that sounds backwards but I can't think of another way to describe this place).
What I've learned is that most likely nothing except a disc, tiller, or dozer is going to get deep enough to completely smooth this place. I don't have a big disc, I don't want to sit on a tractor long enough to till, and don't want to spend the money renting a dozer.
I'll probably smooth it with what I have this year, then plow poison into ground, and next year get someone with a big disc to start it from scratch for me if i feel like it's still too rough.

I'll try to post before and after pictures in the next few weeks when I start dragging.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds
Where in East Texas are you? I'm between Crockett and Palestine and have the same gopher problem.

In my case, after trying to poison them out, I just live with them. Like you said, the grass grows through and they don't bother the cows. I just drive slowly.

The equipment, fuel and time it takes to poison and renovate pastures is such that the juice does not seem worth the squeeze. But I could be wrong, I often am.

If it was a golf course, I would feel differently.
I'd be fine with it but it's so rough I couldn't get anyone to cut hay last year. Had to offer it nearly for free.

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #56  
I live in East texas and got rid of all my gophers using the Cinch trap.
Moles I rely on my outdoor cats.
100% Cinch traps work! We have 20 acres and they were reproducing like crazy for the 20-30 years the previous owner had our land. We bought a dozen cinch traps and caught almost 300 gophers in a month! They take a little practice but they work as advertised and no poison needed!

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #57  
How about a Blind and 22/250 with scope?

/ 150 years worth of Gopher mounds #59  
If you are running cattle on the property here is a compromise that will help.

It's a good idea to break up cow poop with a pipe drag. The pipe drag will also knock down gopher mounds. Over time, it will flatten the ground.

A gang of tires can also be used as a drag. They can usually be obtained for free.

I'm no whale hugger, but discs and shanks break up the soil and release carbon. The pipe drag skids over the turf. It is more environmentally friendly.
Well we certainly don't need more Carbon.... a component in every living thing.