1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #31  
When my 1742 arrived the operator presence switch was very touchy. I couldn't even drive it off the trailer. Just my weight shifting forward caused it to turn off. They changed out a relay and the situation improved although it would be nice for a longer delay before shutdown to stand up and sneak a peak at the forks or bucket.

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #32  
When my 1742 arrived the operator presence switch was very touchy. I couldn't even drive it off the trailer. Just my weight shifting forward caused it to turn off. They changed out a relay and the situation improved although it would be nice for a longer delay before shutdown to stand up and sneak a peak at the forks or bucket.
that's what zip ties are for ... :)

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125
I may try the zip tie thing. My other gear (jd) and hydro (ls) tractors do not turn off when in gear and I am up and down constantly loading stuff in and out of the bucket. Also, seems like a lot of wear on the gearshift to put it in neutral and out constantly. I looked briefly and couldn't figure out where the switch is. The big *** fancy seat doesn't flip forward like the seats on my 2 open station tractors. Where is it?

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #34  
I may try the zip tie thing. My other gear (jd) and hydro (ls) tractors do not turn off when in gear and I am up and down constantly loading stuff in and out of the bucket. Also, seems like a lot of wear on the gearshift to put it in neutral and out constantly. I looked briefly and couldn't figure out where the switch is. The big *** fancy seat doesn't flip forward like the seats on my 2 open station tractors. Where is it?
there may be a slight difference because the seat is different, much nicer, than on my 16xx tractors. On mine, if you flip up the seat, toward the back passenger side of the seat bracket is a teardrop shaped plastic piece that is Spring loaded and secured with a pin through the fat side of the teardrop. As the seat comes down it pushes the skinny part of the teardrop down toward the ground which makes the electrical connection. When you find it, drill a small hole in the thin part of the teardrop, just big enough to get a zip tie through, and then tie it down to a piece of the framing beneath it. I tried other methods but they kept slipping off, so drilling a small hole was the easiest and most reliable way.

Thanks. I'll take a look tonight. I didn't even see that it would/could flip forward, but I didn't pull on it either.

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #36  
Hope you like your new 1736. I'm not a fan of the new loaders, however.

FWIW, I think the Masseys are much more refined than the LS tractors. I'm very happy that I bought a 1643 before the 1700 series replaced it entirely.

Yep. Hydro on the Massey is entirely different than the hydro on my ls g3038. The ls has been a good tractor, but it is a little rough around the edges (which is to be expected since it cost half as much).

Well after getting about 5 hours of use in on the 1736 I can say that I really like it. Loader seems plenty powerful and responsive (haven't tried anything really big yet so I'll reserve judgment on that a bit for now). Cab is spacious and comfortable, especially with the air and radio on. Visibility is good. Engine is smooth and quiet... if perhaps a tad small for the tractor (1742 might have been better for ground engaging work, but I don't do much of that). HST has no perceptable whine. Only thing that I really dislike is having to shift into neutral every time I get on or off the tractor for a second to open/close a gate of whatever to avoid it shutting down. I got it that its supposed to be a safety feature but I don't see the safety value anyway since if it's the slightest hill the tractor will roll without the parking brake on, whereas if it was in gear it would not. Just trades one safety hazard for another. Need to find a solution to that problem. Seat does not lift up to access the seat switch easily as far as I can tell, but haven't really investigated. Anybody know how to access?

Interestingly the new LS cab tractors do not require you to shift into neutral when you stand up in order to keep the engine running. However, when you turn the engine off they do beep at you for about 10 seconds if you have not put on the parking brake. This is essentially exactly the opposite of the Massey and also kind of a pain, but less so I guess.

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #39  
Well after getting about 5 hours of use in on the 1736 I can say that I really like it. Loader seems plenty powerful and responsive (haven't tried anything really big yet so I'll reserve judgment on that a bit for now). Cab is spacious and comfortable, especially with the air and radio on. Visibility is good. Engine is smooth and quiet... if perhaps a tad small for the tractor (1742 might have been better for ground engaging work, but I don't do much of that). HST has no perceptable whine. Only thing that I really dislike is having to shift into neutral every time I get on or off the tractor for a second to open/close a gate of whatever to avoid it shutting down. I got it that its supposed to be a safety feature but I don't see the safety value anyway since if it's the slightest hill the tractor will roll without the parking brake on, whereas if it was in gear it would not. Just trades one safety hazard for another. Need to find a solution to that problem. Seat does not lift up to access the seat switch easily as far as I can tell, but haven't really investigated. Anybody know how to access?

Interestingly the new LS cab tractors do not require you to shift into neutral when you stand up in order to keep the engine running. However, when you turn the engine off they do beep at you for about 10 seconds if you have not put on the parking brake. This is essentially exactly the opposite of the Massey and also kind of a pain, but less so I guess.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

/ 1736 vs 1742 and dl 120 vs dl 125 #40  
Just engage the parking brake. It only takes a second and you can leave the transmission in "gear."