1845 Smoking Bad

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #1  

ernemats

Veteran Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Several days ago my 1845 started smoking real bad, before that it would smoke a little when started and running, then it started smoking real bad white smoke. Have tried diesel injector cleaner in the fuel tank without success (Terry's suggestion to try first) Anyone have any ideas on what I should do.? The engine seems to be running just like it normally did, starts easily.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #2  
Check the air filter for rodent damage. Make sure air filter is good, my 1460 has an indicator, but I would visually check under your circumstance.

If you know you have good fuel (maybe want to drain and refill from a known good source) and good fuel filter, I would crack loose each fuel injector feed line, one at a time and see if the smoke goes away with any one injector. Cracking the high pressure feed line is like pulling off a spark plug wire on a gas engine, it kills that cylinder and troubleshoots where the problem is.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #3  
Also check the tubes that move oil to the oil cooler. Mine (1850)have gotten loose and let dripping oil hit the exhaust.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #4  
coolant levels ok? is it smoke or steam?

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #5  
It's oil (air) cooled. No coolant.

Sounds like unburned fuel. Could be a number of causes. Does it still smoke bad after it's fully warmed up? Also...check your oil level in case you have a leaking injector.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad
It's oil (air) cooled. No coolant.

Sounds like unburned fuel. Could be a number of causes. Does it still smoke bad after it's fully warmed up? Also...check your oil level in case you have a leaking injector.
I do believe there is unburned fuel coming out the exhaust, below the muffler and on tire there is black liquid stains. Oil level seems ok and the longer it runs the more smoke it produces. When first starting it up it smokes a little bit but after 20 seconds or so it starts smoking more. The air filter is ok not clogged up . Tomorrow I will try draining the fuel and add new and change the fuel filter . I am thinking a bad injector possibly. Thanks for suggestions.

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #7  
In a Deutz white smoke is unburned fuel, unless you have oil spraying from a hydraulic hose. Have you smelled the black liquid on the tire to see if it is diesel or oil? It can be hard to see pinhole leaks in hydraulic lines. I hear that leather gloves and a piece of cardboard to see the oil spray is recommended. I have never done it myself.

So, I tend to think of either a bad injector, or a loss of compression. Have you checked for blow by, in case it is a ring failure? If you are going to pull the injectors, you might want to think about a little sea foam in each cylinder to help clear out any gum and loosen carbon at the top of the cylinder.

When was the last time you checked the valve clearances?

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #8  
Pull the air filters..and check the smoke..
Then crack each inj line one at a time and look at the smoke.. no change, retighten and move to the next..
repeat until u find the cylinder that stops the smoking..
THEN, u can swap the injector with another hole, furthest away and repeat the test..
See if the problem follows the injector or stays on the previous cyl..
If it follows, u KNOW u have an injector problem..(stuck open)
DONT repair just 1..& DONT TRY to take it apart. There are tiny alignment pins that WILL break off in the body that will require replacement of the body.$$$
I have the proper tools to disassemble them..
U can contact me thru this site..

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #9  
Pull the air filters..and check the smoke..
Then crack each inj line one at a time and look at the smoke.. no change, retighten and move to the next..
repeat until u find the cylinder that stops the smoking..
THEN, u can swap the injector with another hole, furthest away and repeat the test..
See if the problem follows the injector or stays on the previous cyl..
If it follows, u KNOW u have an injector problem..(stuck open)
DONT repair just 1..& DONT TRY to take it apart. There are tiny alignment pins that WILL break off in the body that will require replacement of the body.$$$
I have the proper tools to disassemble them..
U can contact me thru this site..

Very helpful advice!

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 Smoking Bad #10  
(For PT owners who aren't familiar with @thepumpguysc, he is a well known injector and pump rebuilder. I recommend his prior posts as being very informative.)

All the best, Peter