1845 v. 1850

/ 1845 v. 1850 #1  

Number15

Gold Member
Tractor
AC 7600 TTR, Branson 5520CH, Grasshopper 928D2
Anyone have any experience with the 1845 and 1850?

My situation
I have a nice branson tractor but it does not do slopes well

So the PT would be mostly mowing my sloped areas (~15 acres max 30 degrees) and hopefully the house yard

I am looking for opinions on maneuverability. Could it replace my 72" out front grasshopper for the house yard?

I like the more hp (pto and wheels) of the 1850 but I am drawn to the 1845 because its smaller.

looking to use flail, stump grinder maybee auger. power rake maybe in the future but I would probably use my Branson for that.

question. Anyone know what the difference is n the t12 commercial mower and the RC?

1845 finish mower v. flail?

BTW I am perhaps going to use the PT to build trails so I am probably going to get a set of single wheels for when I do that.
Thanks so much

/ 1845 v. 1850
You do not need a separate set of wheels - just remove the outer ones.
Any opinions on if the 1845 is nimble enough to be a lawnmower replacement for the zt? Understanding that it cannot turn it's own length

/ 1845 v. 1850 #4  
i think that probably depends on your lot. I have a much smaller PT-425 and a mower, and it does a great job! But there are some places where the Deere Z425 is just so much more nimble that we decided to keep it around. Sometimes a mix of tools is better I guess!

/ 1845 v. 1850 #5  
I have an older 1845 and I like the size of it for most acres I mow but I also have a 422 which I use around the house and in smaller areas. My lawn about 5 acres is mostly hillside which is basically a field that we just keep mowed like a lawn it does a decent job but probably not as good as a ztr

/ 1845 v. 1850
I'm really struggling if I should move up to the 1850 for the extra pto power as a trade off to maneuverability. i have many areas with trees that I want to be able to mow. I think the 90" mower will be to big. I mean it will be nice on the open areas for sure, but I would like to maintain less equipment if the 1845 can get the job done. I would sell the grasshopper. Knowing full well the 1845 might take me longer to get the job done in tight areas. If that is not realistic then the 1850 make more sense.

/ 1845 v. 1850 #7  
Are you trying to mow grass for a lawn? For a pasture? Or trying to mow brush? Are your slopes a sustained 30, or mostly 25 degrees with 30 degree pockets? Before my 1445 purchase, I wandered my slopes with an 6' section of unistrut with an inclinometer to get a sense of how bad my slopes were really. I was surprised. What I underestimated was the impact of ground squirrel holes, which suddenly add a couple of degrees. One thing that I would point out is that the flail mower weighs quite a bit, and reduces the slope capacity of both the 1845 and the 1850 (to 35 and 40 deg., respectively). Flail mowers tend to use more HP than a bladed mower, so expect somewhat slower mowing.

With regards to the width issue, I guess that I would ask how many places is an extra foot either side going to impact your mowing?

With my 1445, I brush hog some limited thirty degree slopes, with chains on the wheels and while the pucker factor is high, it gets done. If all my slopes were 30, I would have bought the 1850, but I don't need to mow around trees.

Can I suggest that you go to the factory and try out the 1845, the 1850, and if your slopes aren't a sustained 30 degrees, the 1445? It helped me a lot in making a decision.

All the best,

Peter

/ 1845 v. 1850
Are you trying to mow grass for a lawn? For a pasture? Or trying to mow brush? Are your slopes a sustained 30, or mostly 25 degrees with 30 degree pockets? Before my 1445 purchase, I wandered my slopes with an 6' section of unistrut with an inclinometer to get a sense of how bad my slopes were really. I was surprised. What I underestimated was the impact of ground squirrel holes, which suddenly add a couple of degrees. One thing that I would point out is that the flail mower weighs quite a bit, and reduces the slope capacity of both the 1845 and the 1850 (to 35 and 40 deg., respectively). Flail mowers tend to use more HP than a bladed mower, so expect somewhat slower mowing.

With regards to the width issue, I guess that I would ask how many places is an extra foot either side going to impact your mowing?

With my 1445, I brush hog some limited thirty degree slopes, with chains on the wheels and while the pucker factor is high, it gets done. If all my slopes were 30, I would have bought the 1850, but I don't need to mow around trees.

Can I suggest that you go to the factory and try out the 1845, the 1850, and if your slopes aren't a sustained 30 degrees, the 1445? It helped me a lot in making a decision.

All the best,

Peter
It's a grass pasture. Some of it needs to be bush hogged still, but the intent is to have more grasses in the fields and less brush. I will till, harrow , power rake or whatever as I learn more but we want it to be more grass like and mowed often. PO just let it grow and it is a lot of goldenrod and blackberry brush right now, except for the areas I have cleaned out.

Here are some pictures
This area is very sloped, with some areas over 35 degree but not all of it. Measured with a contractors laser thingiee :)
This will be mowed often
PXL_20211017_164758774.jpg

This is one side of the house yard, the side with the most obstacles. I am wanting to mow all the way to the tree line.

PXL_20211017_164838879.jpg

Knowing that somehow pictures don't capture elevation well, but it for sure needs a slope mower in the front pasture. I am not going to kill myself on the tractor with a rollover just for a lawn. :)

Edit to add:. I've been to the factory. I could only demo the 1850 and it was impressive. No 1845 were available for demo. This would be a second tractor, I would keep the Branson. The Branson mowed everything in the first picture but it was a real puckering experience.

Last edited:
   / 1845 v. 1850 #9  
Yeah elevation and slope are hard to capture in pictures but I think you got it pretty well actually.

For what you've got there I'd rather have a PT-anything over a ZTR for sure!

The PT-1850 is rated for steeper slopes (45 degrees) than the PT-1845 (40 degrees) some of which is in the engine being more tolerant of the slope without starving for oil. Either way you're going to want to be buckled in so you stay under the ROPS if something unexpected happens. And if you can, you'd of course want to mow up and down that slope rather than side to side.

Looking at the price list, there's a big jump in HP between the two - 65 HP for the PT-1850 and 45 HP for the PT-1845 - so one way of thinking about it is that you get 44% increase in power for a 22% increase in price. If your wallet can handle both, the PT-1850 might be the better deal thinking of it that way.

/ 1845 v. 1850
Yeah the 1850 is certainly the better value, but if I buy that I think I will need to keep the zt for the house yard. 1850 will for sure be to big