1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #1  

tjlutz

Tractor
MF 165
Hi Everyone! This is my introductory post as a new member. I'm living in Alberta Canada. We're starting a sheep farm and I have a 1971 Massey Ferguson 165 with Perkins gas engine. We're using the tractor mostly for movement of round bales which to this point has been with the front loader and a ratchet strap. This method has been somewhat successful but in the winter the weight on the loader removes weight/tractor from the rear wheels which makes navigation much more difficult. We just got a 3 pt hitch bale spear and when I tried to lift the bale, it only came off the ground approximately 6". I've been trying to diagnose the problem watching youtube videos but haven't come up with anything specific as yet. I don't think it's the hydraulic pump due to the functionality of the loader but I could be wrong. I've removed the master control spring and I don't see any issues with that either. So if there is anyone out there that has had similar issues or knows what the issue is, I would GREATLY appreciate any help you can offer!!! Have a great day/weekend everyone as we work our way through to the end of this Covid issue and thanks in advance for the help with the MF 165!

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #2  
Is the fluid level full? Low fluid level will limit height of lift?

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness
Thanks Rusty for responding!!! The fluid level is full.

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #4  
Is there a limit adjustment below the seat for lift speed/height?

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #5  
Some (most?) tractors have a mechanical limit on the three point control lever. It may be held in place with a wing nut. If you don't realize it that can limit upward or downward travel.

Thanks Roadworthy for responding!!! Regarding the 3 pt control levers, the draft (outside lever) is completely in the up position and the inner quadrant (inner) lever is also in the up (maximum pressure) position.

Rusty, I'll have to check on that. I haven't read/seen anything about a lift height other than the operating levers to the side of the lift cover. The "fast/slow" on the right side plate is also functioning correctly (to the best of my knowledge if that's what you're referring to).

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #8  
Have you tried lowering the 3 point and moving the draft control lever all the way down to see if it makes a difference?

Rusty, we have moved both the draft and inner quadrant levers up and down and the arms respond as they're supposed to but they don't have the power to lift a 1200 lb bale.

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #10  
Those are the limits of my suggestions, next guess is some kind of weakness in the hydraulic system.