1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness
So here are the results of the trial. I attached my bale spear (approx 100 lbs). The arms didn't raise it initially. I put the inner quadrant up to high pressure and the draft lever up and the bale spear came up. Yea! When I put the draft lever and inner quadrant lever to low position, the bale spear didn't drop but when I put manual down pressure on it, the bale spear dropped. Yea! My hydraulic oil is only 1/2 capacity so I need more (obviously) but at least the arms went down.

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #42  
Good ! So far at least, indications to me are that there is nothing wrong. Go ahead and do your oil fillup and I doubt you will see much if any difference but that should be kept full anyway. If all is well, the next step would be the Draft bypass so you can lift heavier loads on the bale fork.

I confess I am not familiar with that "inner quadrant lever" and not real sure what that does. From your description it seems to offer lift hydraulic pressure adjustment ? One thing I would do if I were you is to find a copy of the Owner's manual on the 165. For sure they are sold in aftermarket sources. I don't mean the big thick shop service manual, just the Owners Manual. That booklet should give you a LOT of good info (for example on the intended use of that middle lever.)

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness
You're correct on the function of the inner quadrant lever, it increases/decreases h.o. pressure. I already have the owner's manual but the shop manual would likely be a wise investment! Thanks again!

/ 1971 MF 165 that has 3 pt hitch weakness #44  
I recently had a 3 point issue with my 231S. It was found that the hydraulic sump had quite a bit of sludge on the bottom and the hydraulic filter was damaged. The sump was flushed clean and a new filter was installed. The 3 point now operates like new and will lift and lower a full load. If you have the case open, clean the sump and inspect your filter. Good luck.