1974 2000 series running problems

/ 1974 2000 series running problems #1  

Howard707

Tractor
Ford
Hello folks, I have a 3cyl gas and have tried for nearly 2 weeks to get it to run properly. Sometimes it would run like a top, then it started acting like it was starving for fuel. I had already replaced the carb earlier this year. It was still under warranty so I got a new one and installed it. There is no water/trash in the fuel. New distributor in May and was running like a top. I later replaced the fuel pump. Then I thought it may be the shaft that runs the fuel pump so I installed an electric fuel pump. It would run great at times but, then it would act like it was starving for fuel and at that time I could see fuel spitting out of the hole located beneath the where the air intake attached to it. ( When it acts as though it is starving for fuel, the governor will kick in and try to keep it running). If I try to speed the idle up, it will not take fuel either. I then thought that because when it would start mis-firing and sometimes back fire with fuel spitting out of the hole (underside of the air intake port), I thought that there was too much pressure from the electric fuel pump. I then hooked it up by gravity feed and it starts but, still does the same thing. I have done everything that I can think of and I have a shop manual and there is nothing that I can find that will help. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP OR REFER ME TO A MECHANIC THAT YOU MAY THINK CAN HELP ME OUT???? It is my only tractor and I am so far behind now that I can barely sleep at night!!!!:confused:

/ 1974 2000 series running problems #2  
first thing you have to do is focus on the problem. You have to narrow it down to spark or fuel.

without doing that you are all over the road.

electrics are the easiest to verify.

make sure it fires on all 3, good blue / white spark on a high gap.. consistently. no missfireing or skips.

once you have elecgtrics verified good. move to fuel.

when it acts lean.. tug on choke. if it helps.. it is indeed starving for fuel.

( check tank tap! )

as for the fuel dripping out.. make sure you are not flooding it. e-fuel pump can probably be set from 1-4 psi and I would try 2.. just needs positive flow.. no fire hose....

as aprt of fuel. ensure the air cleaner is clean and open.

post back

/ 1974 2000 series running problems
Hey Soundguy, we meet again. I just put new points, plugs, condenser wires and rotor button this week. The Cap came brand new with the distributor as well as the points and condenser I changed today. (Just to see if it would help). From fuel cap to carb it is clean as a whistle and today when I set it up to gravity feed, it flowed just fine and ran good. It runs like a top for a little while but then starts all this that I described. I thought that something was heating up and causing a problem. I even put a brand new coil on it last week. The problem is though, it can run like crap when cold or when it warms up. Sometimes it will just start running great as though it just came off the showroom floor and then in just a blink of an eye it begins to choke and will spit fuel. I have set and reset the factory fuel/air valve 1 and 1/2 turn out and it will run great (when it is running fine) but, even when I do not fiddle around with the valve it will start this sputtering and starving for fuel. The governor works when it starts to cut off but only enough to keep it running half way and sometimes it will shut off even when the governor is trying to kick in. I have replaced nearly every single component on the tractor possible on the exterior of the engine. Just out of curiosity, would a bad voltage regulator cause this problem? My thoughts are NO but??? I have a brand new one sitting in a box waiting to be installed. At that point there is nothing that would not be new other than the hydraulic pump

Oh and yes the air cleaner and filter are clean as whistles and I have even slipped the filter out while trying to run it and still have same issue

/ 1974 2000 series running problems #5  
the voltage regulator has no direct impact on the ignition. all it does is make the generator charge the battery.

that battery will run the ignition all day without the generator or regulator being operational.

question..

the 65+ series were 12v fromt he factory. the gassers used a 6v coil and a ball of resistor wire that ran to the coil.

if you repalced this with plain wire.. the 6v coil will overheat after a while.

if you go to a 12v coil.. you HAVE to get rid of the resistor wire.

It was already set up to operate as a 12 volt negative ground system and the coil was replaced with 12 volt Ford coil. I replaced it last year because I had shorted it out and I replaced this newest one because I thought it may have been over-heating. It checked out OK, but I replaced it anyways. It ran fine for a long time until it just started acting up as I have described. I am lost now with no more thoughts of what could be causing this problem. I am simply perplexed and have ran out of thoughts on what I should try next. As you have read, I have replaced nearly everything. It ran fine (like a top) then all of a sudden it started this problem and it seems to be getting worse. I was unable to even keep it running well enough to get back to my house from the farm. (about a half block away.)

Just to be sure though, this ball of resistor wire you are speaking of, would it be obvious (visible)? Right now the coil wire runs to the solenoid switch and to the distributor. No wire in between.

/ 1974 2000 series running problems #8  
i think you may want to re-read my post VERY carefully.

the machie was manufactured as 12v negative ground YES..

it was provided with a 6v coil.

if you go buy a new coil from a NH dealer. it will be a 6v coil... really.

BECAUSE.. there is a ball of ressitor wire in the wire harness.

during starting, the resistor wire is bypassed at the solenoid.

trace your wireing......

i'm betting you have some wireing and coil issues!

OK, Will do. Would I be able to just purchase a 6volt coil from an auto parts store that sells tractor parts? Even though the system is 12 volt, the 6 volt coil will work as it was manufactured if I am understanding you right?? Thank you for ALL of your help both past and present. Howard.
Have a great evening and a great holiday this week coming!!! I will post and let you know how things work out for me.

Well I guess I should ask this. Will I have screwed up any wireing now that I have put a 12 volt coil in the system or will putting a 6 volter in fix my problem??? I have my fingers crossed for the latter!!!