1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild #1  

adub4444

Tractor
case 480d
i have a construction king 480d/ll front loader/skip drag. i have pulled the control valve and had it rebuilt at local hydraulic shop because there was fluid coming up through the steering wheel. i had the steering rams rebuilt, they do not appear to be leaking. also replaced the power steering pump and there is still no lock to lock steering and it turns endlessly. feels like it’s bypassing still. if i lift the front itll turn barely. if theres weight on it the wheels barely wiggle. there is hydraulic fluid in the main res, and i put 15w40 in the power steering pump that was recommended in it because i guess if it craps out it can get into the engine. i do not see any leaks. theres a little bit of oil on the steering ram shafts but not much since theyre were just rebuilt. theres oil residue kinda everywhere since it’s old. but am i missing something? if there was air in it would it work itself out if so how long? should i try to bleed fluid from the hose on the rams? seems like theres no hydraulic assistance at all. i think i pretty much rebuilt or replaced everything. only thing i can think of is maybe get new steering rams or have a faulty valve rebuild or powersteering pump. again i dont see fluid pissing or bleeding anywhere. whatelse could be going on

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild #2  
Welcome to TBN!

Stupid question first. Is it possible that you crossed some lines at the cylinders or at the steering motor?

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild #3  
As always, it's hard to tell from here, but from your description I would say the valve is suspect. What I would do is this. Remove one of the steering lines leading to the cylinders. Doesn't matter which one, right or left side. Adapt a pressure gauge onto the line so flow will deadhead into the gauge. Start the engine and steer in that direction. If the pump and valve are working properly the gauge will register pressure as you continue to turn the wheel. Pressure will increase up to whatever the relief valve is set for.

If it does that, you have cylinder problems. If it won't do that you have pump or valve problems. Somehow, I'd bet on the valve.

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild
the valve was literally just rebuilt and tested in the hydraulic shop. so im not 100% sure thats the culprit, i wouldnt hope so after a 1300$ bill. also when i turn all the wheel all the way to the left and drive forward in a circle at 3/4-full throttle i actually feel back pressure on the wheel. like it’s locking out like it should, but it bleeds off just a little bit. im positive no lines are crossed. i marked them when i took them apart and theres also hardlines so it’d be pretty difficult to get them to line up to actually hook up and cross anyways. like i said the power steering pump is brand new but a cheaper one i found on amazon. i dont have any pressure guages idk maybe harbor frieght has some cheap, but im about to just throw some steering cylinders on there too because there is a but of oil residue on the shafts. i dont know if maybe something isnt sealed right or bleeding off somewhere? ALSO, i have more control turning left than i do right. i have to work twice as hard to get it to turn to the right as where turning to left is actually isnt that bad but im still having to turn the steering wheel constantly. like i said theres a little bit of pressure when the tire is in the full lock position, i cant even get it to turn to the right enough to do that. i just dont know what to do next if i do replace the steering cylinders and still have this issue. back to power steering pump? improper relief valve?

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild #5  
I can't answer your questions. I'm only suggesting a simple pressure test. A single pressure gauge and a fitting or two would be a lot cheaper than new cylinders, a new pump, or a new valve. Your choice.

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild
i understand what your saying as far as testing the cylinders. can you point me in the right direction of where to pick some of these tools up? is this something i can find at harbor freight or somewhere convenient that doesnt outweigh the costs of two new cylinders. that’s more so what i was meaning. sometimes the tools cost more than the part

/ 1983 case 480d steering issues after complete rebuild #7  

You can find these anywhere. Most are made with 1/4" NPT threads, and if I'm seeing things correctly a 480D has #6 J.I.C. fittings on the steering cylinders. If so, all you would need is one of these on the gauge so you can connect a steering cylinder hose onto it. This should be available wherever hydraulic fittings are sold.