Buying Advice 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,?

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #1  

codhod

Tractor
None
Hello Everyone,

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge to me upon discovery, Thank You

I just moved out to the country! I have 10 acres, 5 acres of hillside with 5" to 30" ponderosa pine and 5 acres of flat meadow. The meadow will be mowed 3 or 4 times a year (to keep the snakes away) at least that's my reasoning to get my wife on board :) There is about 250 yards of gravel driveway that will need snow and gravel maintenance. Also a shared private road about 1.5 miles that is paid gravel maintenance but will need to take my turn or help with snow removal with a few neighbors. I plan on handling several property projects including some retaining wall builds (1000+# blocks or rocks) general upkeep, tree cutting hauling firewood etc. I also need to put in power and water to a few buildings.

So I think a tractor is in my future!

I have a Kubota dealer about 15 miles away very established equipment dealer with long standing place in the community.

There is an LS dealer about 10 miles away, small shop with an on-call mechanic I'm guessing little to no parts etc. nice people but only had an LS dealership for 3 or 4 years.

I have narrowed down to a few tractors to which fit within my budget of 20-30k

I'm looking at either and have listed any concerns I might have

Kubota L3901HST (dealer does not have one and estimates 2-4 weeks to get after order.) $27K
Concerned with loader strength for trees and retaining blocks.

LS XR 4140HC (cab model with hst. Dealer has one ready to take home) $29K
Only concern is dealer long term support

LS XG 3140H (no cab with HSt. Dealer has one ready to take home) $21k
Not crazy about smaller frame size and also doesn't have upgrades the XR includes

LS XR 3037HC (cab model with hst. Dealer has one with 30hrs sold with new factory warranty, was used on his lot)$23k
Concerned about 5 hour regen the motor has in this tractor as well as smaller frame compared to the 41xx series

Kubota L3800 (2013) with BH77 (no cab, used with 175 hours from private seller)$25K
Same concerns as L3901 loader strength as well as being used and a little older but does have a backhoe

There is not a lot of competition in my area which may lead to higher prices.

Of the cab models I am concerned with all the trees on my property being in the way and may cause issues. But would be great in the winter:)

Of the choices I'm actually leaning towards ordering a LS XR4140h no cab or the used L3800 with the hoe.

Am I crazy?

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #3  
Out of the ones you listed and jobs you will be doing the L3800 sounds like a good way to go. Plus you have a reputable Kubota dealer near you if you ever need parts or service.

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #4  
You'll need to make a tough call re. cab or open station. Cabs and tree work in the woods don't mix very well for obvious reasons, but having a cab for winter chores is very worthwhile, especially if you are somewhere near or beyond 50. You'll have to decide that one yourself.

As for the tractor brands, LS makes a good tractor but is a relative newbie in the US market, so it's value-priced. Kubota is the market leader in under 80 hp tractors with a large dealer and parts network. If you are a first-time buyer and considering you are planning to do serious work in a fairly remote location, there is a pretty good argument for going with the more established make since your backup for repairs, etc. is more solid.

Make sure you have realistic plans re. your logging work, though. A compact tractor is not a log skidder and will do its work in small pieces. It takes big machinery to handle 30" logs regularly.

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,?
Great advice, Thank you

As far as the trees / logs it will mainly be used for moving cut logs to the log splitter, hauling loads of branches etc. not so much skidding whole logs.

I think my biggest concern however is the loader strength of the Kubotas in this series of tractor. the LS has almost twice the loader strength if i'm ready the specs correctly. I don't want to have troubles moving larger rocks and retaining wall blocks.

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #6  
The bright side of your quandary is that you are dithering over two good tractor brands.

If you decide on a cab equipped tractor, consider a PTO powered logging winch, so your pristine tractor does not have to go far into the trees.

VIDEO: tractor logging winch - YouTube

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #7  
I think you'd do well by any of the choices you have listed. Used with backhoe seems like a good choice, especially with the additional work you mentioned.
Loader capacity of a near 40HP CUT in most cases should be adequate for your tasks. If not, just make more trips with smaller loads/trip.
Might want to take a look at Kioti lineup, especially for loader capacity in/around 40HP. The DK Series, which I have, has a monster loader capacity at around 2700 lbs., IIRC.
I have a hoe, logging winch, logging grapple, and tree shear too! I do a LOT of woods/logging type activity, and I have an open station, ROPS, and aluminium canopy.

Also, tractors, used ones in particular retain a LOT of their original value and thus may cost you more per HP/age of unit/# of hours etc., depending on your planned financing options.

Sometimes buying new is cheaper and often more satisfying due to having a known warranty term vs. prior owner possible unresolved issue headaches.

Proximity to dealer should not be a big deal; most here report seldom needing their dealer's participation, especially on new units.

So search far and wide, consider all options and brands before throwing down a bunch of money, whether new or used.

Post back questions/ results.
Good luck.:thumbsup:

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #8  
that long shared private road = get a truck with snow plow on it. the truck will eat the snow up quickly. vs a tractor and slow poking around for some time.

the 700 to 1000 foot driveway open station / non cab tractor good enough. you dress up get it done and get back in. not just much to a short driveway. if you are a DIY'er see about a soft cab / diy cab for winter. just plastic and some frame supports. just to get the bloody cold wind off you, makes a huge difference.

get saw, and start cutting down limbs from trees. if you goto local parks and like you will notice most trees are trimmed fairly high. so they can drive tractor/mower directly under them without fear of catching tractor on tree limb, for me it is pretty much 1 time a year going around trimming low branches to make it easier to mow / safer to mow. but the larger tractors and smaller trees that might not work out to well.

=======
the landscaping, trenches, trees, states you will most likely want a backhoe. you can rent mini ex (mini excavators), but sounds like your project list is rather long, and you will find more use with 3pt hitch backhoe that is there at home. granted some large size tree stumps may give smaller backhoe on tractor some grunts and snorts. and taking longer cutting up roots and stumps to get them out but can be done. and 3pt hitch backhoe is a tad large in trying to get them in tight areas. when dealing with trenches to put in eletrical,water, etc... but *shrugs*

=======
tractor, FEL, cab, backhoe = tend to be the high ticket items that are more tractor specific items. and getting them on same sales receipt means possibly larger discount.

with above said, some times it is nice to have a large basic tractor with power, other times it is nice to have a smaller tractor with all the little addon's. those little add-on's makes life easier and quicker for general maintenance.

extras being.... 3rd party 3pt hitch implements, rear blade, box blade, land plane/grader scrapper, post hole digger, rotatory mower (bush hog), carry all, pallet forks, harrow / drag harrow, finishing mower, etc..... other words having the cash to get all the stuff you need to make use of the tractor vs not having cash and not being able to get the tools/implements needed to get the jobs done. along with some sort of quick attach or telescopic lower lift arms or pats easy hitch for 3pt hitch. check chains and sway bar/chains for 3pt hitch will be a requirement for you most likely.

extra being.... TNT (top and tilt for 3pt hitch), lights high up on cab or ROPs both front and back, chains for tires, bucket hooks, tooth bar for FEL (front end lower), filling front and/or rearing tires with a fluid for ballast. grapple or 4in 1 bucket for FEL, a thumb for backhoe.

=========
i did not checkout each tractor you listed. make sure to go with some sort of "hydraulic transmission" with 3 to 4 gear range selection would be highly suggested. and stay away from manual transmission.

the landscape work and like for me, i would need ""split rear brakes"" a pedal for left rear tire, and a pedal for right rear tire to apply brakes.

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #9  
As it is not my money, the 3800 or the big LS for value. Any rural kings in your area?

/ 1st Tractor 35-40hp - Kubota, LS,? #10  
I'll trim trees before having an open station. Especially since you live in a place that gets cold there would be no way in the world I'd use an oos.

Brett