1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have?

/ 1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have? #11  
For attachments I'm saving up cash, and in some cases utilizing Paypal Credit and 0% financing if I pay off in 6 months. For example I'm not sure if I'll have the willpower to wait until I save up all the cash for a wicked grapple. I have half, I may do PPC and pay half off now, pay the rest off in 6 mos or less interest free. For most implements I'll be able to just use cash for. I decided I'd rather do that than be locked in for the duration of my tractor payment at a larger payment amount.
I THINK if you ask,....... EA will allow half payment when ordering, and the remainder just before they start building your attachment.
I THINK I read that somewhere!
If true,... that seems like a very reasonable option to me.

Last edited:
   / 1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have? #12  
If it's an option on the tractor and it's something needed/wanted, then it's probably worth getting with the tractor. Generally easier to add such things when the tractor is being assembled for operation the first time rather than trying to work around things after it's fully assembled. .... I think either Messick's or Tractor Mike on youtube have a video on that topic.

If getting a loader having the tires filled or wheel weights added as part of the initial purchase makes sense since adding wheel weights after can be labor intensive & potentially unwieldy, and filling the tires with fluid can require some specialty tools that would (most likely) only be needed the one time. Not sure I'll ever buy a tractor with a loader without having one of the two done as part of the initial purchase.

As for implements most of them can be added after. However, a set of pallet forks would be very handy to get with the tractor as it will greatly assist in unloading future implements (along with permitting a lot of material handling prior to buying other attachments).

Unless you have a fair amount of flat & level space to park implements, telescoping lower link arms on the 3pt can be more forgiving than a quick hitch (though a hydraulic top link may change that). About the only time I've come close to having a cussing fit regarding tractor work (so far) was when trying to hook up a borrowed implement where a quick hitch was needed since the pins for the clevis hitch on the implement had been replaced with bolts that'd rusted solid --- and the implement was sitting such that the top-link had to be adjusted to be "just right" in order to make the connection. That was further complicated by the fact that the tractor and implement weren't sitting together on level ground. If I recall correctly I eventually gave up, took the quick hitch off the tractor, and hooked it to the implement so I could use the 3pt link arms as three independently movable points rather than have them hooked together in a single plane.

YMMV, but in my opinion telescoping lower links are the ideal solution for working with 3pt implements unless a person has a lot of flat & level space to park implements, on the other hand I'm also of the opinion that fixed lower arms are the sole reason that the various quick hitch systems even exist.

/ 1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have? #13  
Depending on your application, I would think about what tires you want. Even with turf tires, it can cause some damage with a big machine. I have turf and I thank god the tractor came with them. I can still pull a tree out of the woods and bought a good set of chains for the winter if needed..

/ 1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have? #14  
Make a comprehensive list of what you will be doing on your property. Prioritize this list. This should determine what implements you will need - right now, in the future. How much property will you be working on? You say - snow plowing. Where are you located.

Don't rush into this. Properly maintained a tractor will last more than a lifetime. It's NOT like your family car.

For EACH tractor/implement you consider buying - research it here on TBN thru Google. Upper right corner of this page. This will give you a good idea of what the tractor/implement can/can not do. Also - member thoughts AFTER their purchase.

Welcome to TBN - Stewbuntu.

/ 1st tractor I will buy. What tips do you have? #15  
Wish I had gotten rear remotes and anything else that would be easier done while already at the dealership. I got the 3rd function on my MX5200 and was glad I did that. Keep in mind that if you are going through Kubota financing that you may get 0% and adding that one extra thing may only cost a couple more bucks a month. I also did work lights on the rops and am glad I did that as well. Ballasting tires hopefully is a part of the process already.