2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #1  

Wayne County Hose

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson model 85, Allis-Chalmers WD-45
I have a Honda 5.5 hp powered air compressor in my service vehicle, 4 stroke engine. I also have a little 2 stroke generator which was given to me. I really don't want to carry 2 types of gas as I also carry kerosene for my torpedo heater. Can I use the 2 cycle fuel in the Honda with no ill effects? Thanks!

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #2  
Yes you can, but cost?

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #3  
You will probably foul the spark plug and rapidly build up carbon in the cylinder. I would NOT burn 2 cycle fuel in a 4 cycle engine.

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #4  
Why not carry just regular gas and then add a dash of oil directly to the tank when filling it up?

These little 2 cycle Chinese Generators are tough to kill. The motors are bullet proof for the most part so running a synthetic 2 cycle oil will not require a exact mix.

Chris

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #5  
You will probably foul the spark plug and rapidly build up carbon in the cylinder. I would NOT burn 2 cycle fuel in a 4 cycle engine.

Maybe at 20-1 or 16-1 but today's two stroke formulations burn cleaner than you think. I have a 20 hp lawn tractor that gets all my stale fuel, mixed fuel and other stuff I have to drain out of motors I'm fixing and it runs fine on the same plug it has had for at least three years.

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #6  
Maybe at 20-1 or 16-1 but today's two stroke formulations burn cleaner than you think. I have a 20 hp lawn tractor that gets all my stale fuel, mixed fuel and other stuff I have to drain out of motors I'm fixing and it runs fine on the same plug it has had for at least three years.

I'll continue to keep a small 1 gallon container of mixed oil for my 2 cycle stuff and run clean fuel in my 4 cycle equipment. I have no reason to run any oil mix through it.

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #7  
Next door neighbor said he junked his 2 year old walk behind lawnmower this past Spring because his wife put the 2-cycle mix he had for a string trimmer in his 4-cycle lawnmower and he could no longer start the lawnmower.

Personally, I suspect the mower could have been fixed but he had already gotten rid of it when he told me about it.

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #8  
More than one time I found myself out of gas on a week-end day, needing to till or mow, and no gas. I have used 2 cycle mix with no ill effects, can't see a bit of oil hurting things that much, a little "top-oil".

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #9  
A really rich mix will make it hard to start. More modern engines will be worse, but it won't really hurt anything, synthetic oil and leaner mixes obviously being less of a problem. A 50:1 mix might increase pollution but it would probably be no worse than running a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.

It really isn't that hard to keep a seperate container though. I have an old Lawnboy which I run at 32:1, I just use the same mix in my McCulloch 440T chainsaw ("The Professional" as I call it), my string trimmers and my leaf blower, most of which call for 40:1 or so. Its a little rich and they might be a bit harder to start. "The Professional" smokes like Texas Chainsaw Massacre on that mix, but it runs fine otherwise. I cut some massive logs with it and while I filled the yard with smoke I noticed no problems, on cooler days it requires a bit of carb cleaner for the initial start.

I actually have a proportionally large amount of 2 cycle equipment and only keep the one gallon mixed at 32:1 regardless of what is called for and run that in all of them and mix more as needed (mainly because the Lawnboy will see the majority of use) and I really can't have a few gallons of close mixed fuel around for less frequently used equipment.. At current count I have the Lawnboy, the chainsaw, 3 string trimmers, the Toro s140 snowblower (more like a gas version of an electric shovel) and the leafblower. I may even buy a gas hedge trimmer but I'd use the same mix.

I may, if I needed to get rid of it, run extra two cycle stuff through the 11hp Briggs IC engine on "The Beater", a crappy Agway tractor I picked up mainly to help in the disposal and removal of fall leaves.

/ 2 Cycle fuel in a 4 Cycle engine #10  
I have been using a 50:1 mix in all my power equipment. I started doing that in 1983 when I started my lawn care biz.for the same reason ,one can of gas for all. now I mix 20 gals at a time .I put it in everything Atv,tiller,genset,ect every thing gets filled up at the end of day; ready for tomarrow I have even put it in my wifes truck scince she cant seen to read a gas gauge