$2 million CAT tractor build

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #61  
Maybe you should work for Cat and get them squared away...after all, you do it all, know it all.

Maybe you should work for Komatsu. You seem to romance the Orient.... Oh hallowed one....

Pardon me, you do work...right?

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #62  
This thread is an interesting compliation of views. 5030 has historical experience, TN is in a coal operation with 76 of them, attesting to maintenance of these beasts of a machine, and then those that are involved directly or indirectly in the region they are "assembled/made" with pictures and or first hand experience with them.

It is amazing to me that such a simple well intended thread about the D11R sparked such a diversity of responses and in several cases attacks on other members..

The world has changed since 1991-2001-2011 and will continue to evolve, USA is just one part of the global supply chain - great parts and products are made here and around the world and this will only continue in the years and decades to come.

Yes, 5030 making hay is hard work - I have done a fair bit by hand, and fixed machines too, not out of choice but my fathers rule was "you broke it you fix it" at 10 years old taught me a lesson about machines and what to do/not to do, and also keep a reign on my mouth most of the time.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #63  
Well said Carl NH :thumbsup:

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #64  
Every once in a while I get to go out to our mines and when I do I make sure to take lots of pics. Thought I would upload a few that are still on my phone of some D11's for those who enjoy pictures. I have 100's more that include Huge Rock Trucks, loaders, Highwall miners, etc. It is truly amazing watching all this huge equipment working in harmony and making things happen.

Attachments

• image-3031530750.png
    image-3031530750.png
    930.3 KB · Views: 106
  • image-4035987025.png
    image-4035987025.png
    805.7 KB · Views: 99
  • image-165213336.png
    image-165213336.png
    793.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3633604418.png
    image-3633604418.png
    699.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-651361488.png
    image-651361488.png
    819.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-4006551009.png
    image-4006551009.png
    821.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3985268685.png
    image-3985268685.png
    779.6 KB · Views: 107
   / $2 million CAT tractor build #65  
Every once in a while I get to go out to our mines and when I do I make sure to take lots of pics. Thought I would upload a few that are still on my phone of some D11's for those who enjoy pictures. I have 100's more that include Huge Rock Trucks, loaders, Highwall miners, etc. It is truly amazing watching all this huge equipment working in harmony and making things happen.

Thanks for the pics. They truly are amazing machines. I would love to drive one but it would be so hard to go back to the "toys" we deal with now after feeling the power of one of them.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #66  
Cool pics Tn. Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #67  
After looking closely at the pics, I noticed a couple may be D10's. Still big though. The one on the first pic was a D11. This pic was taken a few weeks after a complete powertrain rebuild (~500-600K). I actually got to start it up and move it back and forth a little. For insurance reasons, they wouldn't let me push anything with it...lol. Awesome experience either way.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #68  
Am I correct in thinking that only some have rippers and others have weight boxes where the rippers go?
Thanks for the pictures.

Aaron Z

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #69  
Am I correct in thinking that only some have rippers and others have weight boxes where the rippers go?
Thanks for the pictures.

Aaron Z

Yes, thats a counterweight when the ripper isnt present. The rippers on these things are huge, so its a lot of weight to be missing when they arent installed.

/ $2 million CAT tractor build #70  
Thanks TN for sharing the pics - in the 60's I spent some time around the strip mines in NW PA - always in awe of the big shovels literally moving mountains.

They are restripping some areas again due to advancement of machines and extraction methods - the technology to locate, then the efficiency and machines today make the "power shovel" of the 60s seem like a model T by comparison.