20 bucks a foot

/ 20 bucks a foot #1  

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
Just scored a Woods RM59 for a hundred bux. Look out poison ivy.

/ 20 bucks a foot #2  
Awesome:thumbsup:

I picked up a Wood's Billy Goat 48" 2 months ago for $100.00- but needed some work. Always nice when you get a great deal AND it is ready to go to work:D

/ 20 bucks a foot #3  
"Look out poison ivy."
Maybe tight one piece suit of some sort w/hand face protection..finger cross for damp day if first cut.

/ 20 bucks a foot #4  
Would it help to spray the area down with a mixture of dish liquid and water?

My understanding is that the oil in the plant is what irritates and causes problems, so if you used some type of solution that breaks down the "oil", would it help limit the potential of getting exposed?

That also goes for cleaning your equipment afterwords. Would that be effective to rinse of all the "contaminates?

/ 20 bucks a foot #5  
There is a spray you can put on yourself called Ivy-Block it think..
my wife swears by it.
James K0UA

/ 20 bucks a foot #6  
ive block has worked for me never got pi with it on also tecneu soap used after working in it removes all oil

ive block and technu both burn a little but its worth it

/ 20 bucks a foot
Put the mower behind the tractor to see what kind of trouble I had gotten myself into. Well, other than surface rust, some dull blades and a bent discharge chute, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this mower. Lubed it up, checked the belt and went mowing for two hours on Saturday. Very quiet, unlike a certain Gravely mower I know...and smooth and cuts like nobody's business.
Sometimes it all works out.

/ 20 bucks a foot #8  
I mow poison ivy pretty regularly, a lot of it with a gravely walk behind brush mower. Sometimes I can mow an acre of solid poison ivy and go unscathed, sometimes i get some on the ankles and between the fingers. I dont think ive ever had any trouble with it when ive mowed it with the tractor.

What you really have to watch out for is when you are digging, the roots are brutal. (trip to the hospital bad)

/ 20 bucks a foot #9  
The other week I was hogging a 1/2 acre of PI without realizing it was PI.

Since we just bought our tractor, the 2 acres that included this 1/2 acre had not been mowed in 2 years. Since the acreage was so thick and high and the discharge rough and clumpy, I mowed the area three times to produce a fine mulch and make sure it was good and scalped so the regrowth might be better grasses.

The good news was that I was wearing jeans, boot, and a short and undershirt. I wish they had been long sleeve shirts.

I didn't realize at the time that the dust cloud from all the remowing was (I'm guessing) laced with PI dust. Ohhhh, no ... I wasn't happy the next day. :eek:

Apparently, I'm the type that tries to ignore physical discomfort. It took me 5 days to go buy some Zanafel (great product but really expensive) and Cortizone 10. Of course, the products took care of the itch in minutes and the rash in 24-26 hours once got with it. :mur:

/ 20 bucks a foot #10  
There is a spray you can put on yourself called Ivy-Block it think..
my wife swears by it.
James K0UA

Or use herbicide if your going to spray the **** stuff in the first place, spray it and kill it. If you cut it you will cut it again in 2 months?