20% grade

/ 20% grade #11  
You could plow going up and down if you till after and pull the dirt back up the hill. You need to dig a big ditch across the top and depending on how tall it is maybe another ditch near the middle after you till. Put landscaping fabric on the middle ditch to hold it together in a big rain if necessary. I live in west virginia and have seen it done. You will always be fighting erosion but it will work.

/ 20% grade #12  
20percentGrade.jpg

/ 20% grade #13  
Since it's a small farm, you'll probably want a larger compact tractor or a smaller utility tractor. Although you might desire a cab, they add weight well above the center of gravity.
Definitely increase the track as Bigfoot wrote...and fill those rear tires.
It'll be expensive, but you may even want to install duals on the rear axle.

Now, since you don't have a tractor yet, you should consider a used machine that has duals installed...even if it is a bigger machine then you want.

/ 20% grade #14  
This is not strictly on point but illustrates the importance of knowing the terrain where you operate a tractor or a mower, especially on a slope, especially where there are or might be holes or depressions on the downhill side or bumps, etc., on the uphill side. A man we knew was mowing around his pond with a zero-turn mower--the commercial kind that has two levers, one operating each hydraulic-drive system for each wheel, that you push or pull to cause the wheel on that side to go forward or reverse. Muskrats had undermined the edge of the pond. The ground gave way on the side of the mower near the water, the mower and this man went into the water, and his belt got caught on the handle of one of the levers. The result was the he could not get free of the mower, even though it had a ROPS, and he drowned. I have been mowing around our pond with a zero-turn mower, but I try to make absolutely sure I know where the muskrats have caused damage, and where in doubt I avoid the suspect area. And we just decided to plant weeping willows on the dam and stop mowing within six feet or so of the water there.

/ 20% grade #15  
I don't know what the grade on my hills are but I can tell you that I only bush hog them and would never consider plowing them. I'll attach some pictures....

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

19.jpg

27.jpg

20.jpg

/ 20% grade #16  
I don't know what the grade on my hills are but I can tell you that I only bush hog them and would never consider plowing them. I'll attach some pictures....

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

19.jpg

27.jpg

20.jpg
I sincerely enjoyed the pictures. I was raised in East Tennessee-Hawkins County.

/ 20% grade #17  
Thank you for your comments. East Tennessee is a beautifull place. Hawkins County is a beautifull area. The 4th of July fireworks show in Rogersville is the best.

/ 20% grade #18  
I want to retire to east TN
Also viewing those pics invoked the PUCKER response to my....... well you know
:p

/ 20% grade #19  
Just eyeballing that cross cut...that looks very steep! Have you ever checked it with an inclinometer? Do you cut the rest of that hill going up and down? Add in the pond at the bottom - this is a worst case scenario. It is beautiful country!

/ 20% grade #20  
A compact tractor might be different but most ag tractors as long as you go slow will usually start sliding down a hill before they will roll. As long as you don't hit a hole or something on the down hill side. A 20% slope is not too much at all. I have one 1/4 of land where the average slope is close to 25% and the steepest is somewhere around 50%. Been in the family since 1944 and no one as of yet has rolled a tractor but you do have to know what you are doing on the hills.