20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
Had 20 yards ordered for delevery today, first thing this morning..

well yesterday late afternoon I walked by the bota and the R front was flat!!:(.... Ouch. I recently loaned the tractor to a friend and I think he did some demo work... When I picked the tractor up, the tire had air...Had to haul it to and fro for him....but it has been sitting for 10 days...

Yanked the tire off. filled it and did the soap spray and found a hole in the tread...Even though I planned on a getting a tube today. I thru a plug in it..:). Reinflated and then noticed a second leak from a tread, just on the edge of the side wall.. :mad:. had plugs but no glue..

So I ran out this am to a local tire store, no tubes! Then to National Tire and Battery..His response " I'm not sure where I would get a tube" Real winner there!!:(. Truck was due in 30 minutes...

Swung by the local auto parts store and grabed some plug glue and tire slime....Thur a second plug in and 8 oz of slime and reinflated...Installed the tire and noticed the other was low... yanked it off, No time to hunt for holes....So I threw the other 8 oz of tire slime in there, and reinflated ...just as the truck pulled up...

20 yards of WET loam spread and the tires are still going strong..:D I will install tubes when I get a chance but for now...I kneel to the plug and slime gods!!

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #2  
I priced tubes after I plugged a hole in one of my front tires, they were a special order where I went. The tubes cost almost as much as a new tire, about $70 as I recall, so since the tire was about 5 years old and had a really large plug in it, I just replaced it. I don't like slime because it's ruined a couple tire guages, a little of it frequently splooges out the valve when you let air out.

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #3  
I got my fronts tubed at the local Fleet Farm for $45 for the pair. From what I hear it is the best way to go for front loader work. Too easy to pop a bead with a heavy FEL load (like I did...) I only used it once since the tubes, but they held up well. Try more of a farm type place for tubes that will be more familiar with Ag equipment.

-Dave

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #4  
I get a frequent flier discount at the tire shop.

Not to top your story, but we tore down a storage building a couple of years ago. Got three flats in 15 minutes, wound up buying a roofer's magnet to pick up all the nails.

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #5  
I've seen some declare that they wouldn't want tubes. What are the disadvantages of using tubes?

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #6  
I wish they made a Leak Stop Slime for filled tires. One of my rear R4's has a few slow leaks that make puddles on my shop floor. Seem too small to plug, and some are from gashes. Every time I think of getting new tires, I start thinking new tractor.

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #7  
I've seen some declare that they wouldn't want tubes. What are the disadvantages of using tubes?

Harder to fix flats -- can't use plugs to fix nail holes

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #8  

I avoid using tubes in tires at all costs. With a tube type tire when you do get a puncture, lets say a nail, the tire goes flat almost instantly. This is due to the fact that the air escapes the tube into the tire, then out the valve stem hole in the wheel (since they don't seal to the wheel like in a tubeless setup). With a tubeless tire the nail generally stays in the tread and keeps the hole somewhat plugged for at least a little while (long enough to get back to the barn at least). I have been round and round with the tube type tires on my Ford Jubilee. You get a thorn in one and before you're around the field again its on the the rim. I'm looking to go to tubeless tires on it, but that requires new rims. If someone is de-seating beads on a tire used with a FEL they aren't running enough air pressure for the load.

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires
24 hours now and still holding air...

I'm not going to rush right out and tube them, we'll see how they hold up. I 'm also not a fan of not being ble to patch a tire w/ tubes, so , I guess its just wait time...

/ 20 yards of loam and TWO flat tires #10  
Reinflated and then noticed a second leak from a tread, just on the edge of the side wall.. :mad:. had plugs but no glue..QUOTE]

I didn't think you were suppose to plug side wall leaks.. good to know it's possible.