2003 GC2300 broken radiator.

/ 2003 GC2300 broken radiator.
   / 2003 GC2300 broken radiator. #22  
The aluminum of these radiators is about the thickness of a soda pop can. Unlike the copper radiators that could be soldered I am not sure that how a welding repair could be made.

That's why they braze them.

If you watch the demo's for the aluminum brazing rod, they repair holes in pop cans with it.

I got the first two layers of epoxy on. Tomorrow I will put another 1 or 2. It takes a full 24 hours to cure and though it says it sets in 1 hour I found that 2 hours between coats still found the first coat soft. Maybe by Sunday I can do a water test to see if the leaks have been plugged.

Attachments

• 1st layer.JPG
    1st layer.JPG
    927.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2nd layer.JPG
    2nd layer.JPG
    950.5 KB · Views: 22
   / 2003 GC2300 broken radiator. #24  
I got the first two layers of epoxy on. Tomorrow I will put another 1 or 2. It takes a full 24 hours to cure and though it says it sets in 1 hour I found that 2 hours between coats still found the first coat soft. Maybe by Sunday I can do a water test to see if the leaks have been plugged.
Takes about 24 hours to achieve full hardness...... A gentile application of heat (just warm to the touch) will sometime speed up hardening process .... But don't get it "HOT"....

/ 2003 GC2300 broken radiator. #25  
Water tests (?? not sure what that is) don't count. It is Pressure that matters. One can borrow a radiator pressure test kit from most any friendly repair shop OR they can be had under $50 from Amazon. I got one myself, they are easy to use, come with a variety of adapters to match most if not all common radiators, etc. Easily matched both the Kubotas I own and my MF 2660.

The way these work (if you have not already used them) is you use a small hand pump that is part of the kit to pressurize the cooling system including of course the radiator. Run it up to typical pressure (e.g. around 15 psi above ambient; exact pressure not critical) and watch the gauge to see if it stays steady meaning no leaks. Go off and eat your lunch or read your emails and come back and see if the pressure held steady or dropped. Drop means a leak of course.

In Amazon enter

"Coolant Pressure Tester Kit, Manual Pump Radiator Pressure Tester and Adapters" and it will cover you up with selections of them.

Water tests (?? not sure what that is) don't count. It is Pressure that matters. ...
If JB Weld is to be believed it claims a rating 4730psi. Since most coolant systems have a pressure relief at 15psi this should be sufficient if a good bond is made. I cleaned the area ahead of time with Throttle body cleaning solution. So if it holds water it will be worth putting back into the tractor and seeing what happens.

One advantage I have is the tractor will not be driving off away from home so if the repair fails it is simply a "Oh Dang!" situation and not a major inconvenience.

All I can say is good luck with the repair. I have a feeling that in the end, you'll be buying a new radiator anyway....🤪
Oh I agree is is a long shot but a new radiator at around $1000 delivered is simply not going to happen.

/ 2003 GC2300 broken radiator. #29  
If JB Weld is to be believed it claims a rating 4730psi. Since most coolant systems have a pressure relief at 15psi this should be sufficient if a good bond is made. I cleaned the area ahead of time with Throttle body cleaning solution. So if it holds water it will be worth putting back into the tractor and seeing what happens.

One advantage I have is the tractor will not be driving off away from home so if the repair fails it is simply a "Oh Dang!" situation and not a major inconvenience.
I JB Welded a truck ac condenser once after a weld repair was still leaking and it lasted for more than 10 years.

/ 2003 GC2300 broken radiator. #30  
I wouldn't have done it. But I hope it works out for you.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR