2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters..

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #1  

JTKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Z-Force 44
An alternative source for engine oil filter and transaxle filter for new 2000 series cubs:
Oil Filter= Carquest # 85516 (oversized, 2x as long as OEM)
Transaxle Filter = Carquest # 85410 (exact size to OEM)

These filters have the exact same specs as OEM (thread size, gasket size, bypass press, anti drain-back features.) I like the oversized engine oil filter due to the increased oil capacity it gives you. About another 1/3 quart.
Carquest filters are made by WIX, one of the best filters out there (IMHO). These p/n's are for the carquest "premium" line. I just picked them up for my 2544.

G/luck
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( An alternative source for engine oil filter and transaxle filter for new 2000 series cubs:
Oil Filter= Carquest # 85516 (oversized, 2x as long as OEM)
Transaxle Filter = Carquest # 85410 (exact size to OEM)

These filters have the exact same specs as OEM (thread size, gasket size, bypass press, anti drain-back features.) I like the oversized engine oil filter due to the increased oil capacity it gives you. About another 1/3 quart.
Carquest filters are made by WIX, one of the best filters out there (IMHO). These p/n's are for the carquest "premium" line. I just picked them up for my 2544.

G/luck
Joel )</font>

Likewise I found Fram filters for my 3235, which I believe are probably the same as for the 2500, PH3614 for engine, slightly longer than original, and PH3675 for the hydro. Handily these are the same filters used for the 3 vehicles in my household.

Bob B.

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #3  
The oem cc filter use a 16 micron.What I use on my 2180 Don't get mad I use a John deere trans filter no# jd-am39653 only diff is 25/30 micron.cost is $6.00 . I think napa gold part is 1410

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #4  
Hey Bob, any idea if those same filters will fit my 3240? Thanks!

Chuck

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters..
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Likewise I found Fram filters for my 3235, which I believe are probably the same as for the 2500, PH3614 for engine, slightly longer than original, and PH3675 for the hydro. Handily these are the same filters used for the 3 vehicles in my household.

Bob B. )</font>

Bob, I dont know how you are fixed for room under the hood on your 3235, but you may want to consider a PH3600 over the PH3614. It's about another 1.5" longer for increased oil capacity & filtering. Easier to grip & remove as well. Also- is that PH3675 a hydraulic (rated) filter? You dont want to use an engine oil filter for hydraulic service. Hyd. filters typically use a 'micro-glass' media (as opposed to paper/fiber), have heavier internal/external construction, no bypass, etc. On the other hand, the cub transaxles use motor oil anyway /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif, so it may not matter. What ever works for ya!
G/luck
Joel

Chuck, all the briggs & kohlers I've seen/had use 3/4-16 filter mounting threads & use the same sized filter base. I don't use fram oil filters, but the PH3600 is the longest filter I know of that fits this application. Just cross ref. the "PH3600" to get other brand's P/N's
G/luck!
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #7  
Thanks JTKub, so for my 22hp kohler, I could use the PH3600 or equiv. And I think I read on another thread that a guy was using regular motor oil in his kohler for the many years.

How about for the transmission filter, any ideas there for a cross? Also, you mentioned in the previous post that the CC uses motor oil in the trans? What kind of motor oil would that be?

Sorry, hope I didn't hi-jack the thread /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chuck

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...How about for the transmission filter, any ideas there for a cross? Also, you mentioned in the previous post that the CC uses motor oil in the trans? What kind of motor oil would that be?

Sorry, hope I didn't hi-jack the thread /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chuck )</font>

Chuck, the transaxles for the 3K series are slightly different than the 2K series, so I'm not positive on the trans oil & filter. If the trans is a hydro-gear (brand name) like the 2005 model years, It most likely uses 15w-50 oil. I've never known hydro-gear to use anything other than 15w-50 motor oil for their hydrostatic drives. As far as a trans filter for your 3K series, check here: http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index2.asp?Section=4&Make=&Model=&SubModel=&Engine=&Year=&TempSection=4
If you dont want to run wix, just use the wix p/n as a x-ref for another brand.
G/luck
Joel

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #9  
Thanks for the info JTKub, here is what I came up with for a WIX p/n for my 3240 w/22hp kohler:

Air - 42297
Hydraulic - 51410
Oil - 51056

Wix will be fine, that is what I intend to use for my recently purchased Yanmar. I'd rather stick with the same brand, and have heard a lot of good things about Wix. I just have to find somebody that stocks them.

I'd like to find a replacement for the CC trans oil since they are charging a fortune for it. The lat time I bought it, I think I paid $6 a quart!

What type of oil do you run in the engine, CC, B&S, regular 10-40?

Chuck

/ 2005 Cub 2042 & 2500 series filters.. #10  
I just re-read my reply and wanted to make something clear. I don't mind paying $6 a quart, or even $10 quart if that's what is required for propper maintenance. But what I do mind, is wasting money, if regular $2 quart motor oil (without the CC sticker) will work just as good. Not trying to be cheap and take a chance with my machine, just trying to be smart with my money, and my machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif