2005 Jinma 284 won't start!

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #21  
Thank you for your help. I'm now able (with a screwdriver) to get it to make a "spinning" noise?
Battery is new 2 weeks ago and I took it back in yesterday to have it checked. The battery and cables aren't the issue.
All the Youtube videos on "what to do if your tractor won't start" all use a screwdriver and it fires right up.
At least I'm at least getting a noise now.
That's got to be progress. At this rate I should have my charity garden planted by 2028....🙄
It now sounds like the starter bendix is not kicking in to turn your engine over. My first though was the battery. Now you say that is good. I had problems with my starter also. I took it out of the tractor and put it in the vice. I then powered it up with the battery in the vice. That will prove that the starter is good or not. My next guess is you have a bad ground on the starter. Did you clean the area where the starter bolts in ? I hope in your case the engine is not stuck and the starter will not turn it over. I would do a current test on the starter circuit when you turn the key over. That will tell a big story. The screw driver is just jumping the solenoid over. That only shows if you have a wiring issue.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #22  
Do you get the same spinning noise when you turn the key to the start position?
The screwdriver bypasses the key starting position, but key in run could be required.
I suspect you have an issue with your starter engaging. This could be a fault with the starter or a poor ground.
Do you have either a 12 volt test light or a multimeter (better assuming you know how to test DC voltage with it).
If you either, test for voltage between a starter mount bolt and the large cable at the starter. You should get 12 volts or a bright light with a test light.
We know you have voltage at this cable from your screwdriver test.
In my opinion the simplest way to correct a poorly grounded starter is to remove 1 mounting bolt put a cable on it and replace it. The other end connect to a frame bolt near the starter.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #23  
I bought a 2005 Jinma 284 with 212 hours on it about 4 years ago. I've been able to get it started twice since then about 2 years ago.
So far I've replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition and I just put in a new battery last week.
It ~STILL~ won't start! I'm into this thing a small fortune including 5 brand new Implements I purchased for the Jinma. There are no actual tractor mechanics near me. I've been using a very knowledgeable riding mower mechanic who is just as confused as I am.
Does anyone have an idea WHY this thing won't start?
HELP PLEASE?
I've owned a 354 Jinma for close to twenty years and it's always been a good starting tractor. It was a crate tractor when I got it, so as I assembled it, I modified and added what I thought was needed. The first thing was replaced the bottom fuel tank screen assembly with standard (just came out of a Hydraulics supply store) straight 1/4" NPT needle valve (NO SCREEN). Next install a Napa spin on oil filter that fit Older mid 1990's inline ford six engines and found the NAPA equivalent to the air filter. Drained the rear axle and transmission and filled with conventional 80-90 gear oil. Change over to the Fleet and Farm Universal tractor hydraulic oil as well. I use Fleet and Farm 15W-40 engine oil in the engine and some times I top off the steering reservoir with the 15-40 if I've ran out of the hydraulic oil. If you look at that fitting on the bottom of the fuel tank you'll see what terribly small orifice hole it is and any kind of debris will plug it up. All I can do is tell you what I've done and I've ran the crap out of that tractor. bjr

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #24  
You should have been warned that activating the starter directly with a screwdriver on the terminals can be dangerous, it bypasses the safety switch that makes sure the clutch is depressed. So make sure you're not in gear. There was a poster here a few years ago who started his tractor that way when it was in gear. It ran him over and he was badly injured.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #25  
From what I can gather there are two different things happening.

One is that turning the key doesn't engage the starter. The other is that when the starter motor turns it's not turning the engine. There could be two separate issues, but both of these would result from low voltage. The first thing to insure is that the battery is fully charged. It's also really common on these tractors that a poor connection causes voltage drop. If you look at the battery, the negative terminal is connected to the frame of the tractor. The tractor frame is used as the return path for current from the battery. If that connection is not spotlessly clean it can create enough resistance to keep things from working.

If there are separate problems there are a few possibilities. You've already replaced the starter, solenoid and switch so I'm going to assume those are ok. When you turn the key what's supposed to happen is electricity is applied to the solenoid, which causes it to provide power to the starter. You need to see if the solenoid is getting power when you turn the key. Easiest way to check that is to put a voltmeter on it while a helper turns the key. If there is no power, trace the circuit backwards. There is a switch on the clutch to make sure the clutch is engaged, that switch often fails.

As to the starter motor not engaging with the engine, that is most often caused by low voltage. There is also a thing called a Bendix gear that allows the starter to disengage once the engine starts. That could be broken or sticking. On the engine there are gear teeth that the Bendix gear engages with. One of them could be broken. Engines tend to always stop in same position so the same tooth always engages the starter. You can test for that by turning the engine a few degrees so a different tooth engaged. Use a 27mm wrench on the crankshaft to turn the engine.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start!
From what I can gather there are two different things happening.

One is that turning the key doesn't engage the starter. The other is that when the starter motor turns it's not turning the engine. There could be two separate issues, but both of these would result from low voltage. The first thing to insure is that the battery is fully charged. It's also really common on these tractors that a poor connection causes voltage drop. If you look at the battery, the negative terminal is connected to the frame of the tractor. The tractor frame is used as the return path for current from the battery. If that connection is not spotlessly clean it can create enough resistance to keep things from working.

If there are separate problems there are a few possibilities. You've already replaced the starter, solenoid and switch so I'm going to assume those are ok. When you turn the key what's supposed to happen is electricity is applied to the solenoid, which causes it to provide power to the starter. You need to see if the solenoid is getting power when you turn the key. Easiest way to check that is to put a voltmeter on it while a helper turns the key. If there is no power, trace the circuit backwards. There is a switch on the clutch to make sure the clutch is engaged, that switch often fails.

As to the starter motor not engaging with the engine, that is most often caused by low voltage. There is also a thing called a Bendix gear that allows the starter to disengage once the engine starts. That could be broken or sticking. On the engine there are gear teeth that the Bendix gear engages with. One of them could be broken. Engines tend to always stop in same position so the same tooth always engages the starter. You can test for that by turning the engine a few degrees so a different tooth engaged. Use a 27mm wrench on the crankshaft to turn the engine.
SO much knowledge on here! I thank each of you for trying to help me with this shiny red boat anchor.
I ~ALWAYS~ put in neutral when parked. A neighbor suggested I try spraying starter fluid on something?
This has been so very frustrating for me. There are zero tractor mechanics near me so I have to do this myself. Missing another garden season is weighing heavy on my mind. I have always planted 8-10 acres for charity, food banks and local zoo's each year. I just can't do it by hand anymore.
Again, I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. A very sincere thank you!

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #27  
No starter fluid. That only helps if the engine is spinning and not starting. You're not there yet.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #28  
SO much knowledge on here! I thank each of you for trying to help me with this shiny red boat anchor.
I ~ALWAYS~ put in neutral when parked. A neighbor suggested I try spraying starter fluid on something?
This has been so very frustrating for me. There are zero tractor mechanics near me so I have to do this myself. Missing another garden season is weighing heavy on my mind. I have always planted 8-10 acres for charity, food banks and local zoo's each year. I just can't do it by hand anymore.
Again, I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. A very sincere thank you!
Thanks.

So nothing in what I wrote is really Jinma-specific or even tractor-specific, it's how the starter on every car made in the past 80 years or so works (except Tesla I guess). You don't need a tractor mechanic, a competent shade-tree mechanic should be able to help.

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #29  
I bought a 2005 Jinma 284 with 212 hours on it about 4 years ago. I've been able to get it started twice since then about 2 years ago.
So far I've replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition and I just put in a new battery last week.
It ~STILL~ won't start! I'm into this thing a small fortune including 5 brand new Implements I purchased for the Jinma. There are no actual tractor mechanics near me. I've been using a very knowledgeable riding mower mechanic who is just as confused as I am.
Does anyone have an idea WHY this thing won't start?
HELP PLEASE?
Frustrating watching this from afar when it should be pretty easy (once you've done it).

1. Key is not engaging the starter.
2. When starter runs (by passed with screw driver), it doesn't engage the bendix and crank the engine.

Could be a couple of issues together, or, any chance you have positive and negative reversed? Would spin starter backwards and not engage?

Best,

ed

/ 2005 Jinma 284 won't start! #30  
The screwdriver needs to arc from the terminal that the battery cable is attached to on the starter to the small terminal on the starter. If you arc between the 2 large terminals, the starter will spin but the solenoid will not throw the starter drive out to the flywheel to engage it.