2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #21  
IMHO.. the napa filter fit on better and had a better oring.

clean the recieving area as well.. I used a shop rag with a lil brakkleen sprayed on it..

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
IMHO.. the napa filter fit on better and had a better oring.

clean the recieving area as well.. I used a shop rag with a lil brakkleen sprayed on it..

soundguy

I will do this today and report back.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #23  
you'da thunk the oem filter would have bene the 'best one' yet.. mine leakd oil UNTIL I changed to a napagold... had ford change the filter a couple times.. same deal.. seeping leak that made a mess...

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #24  
I have only used OEM filters, maybe 10, and mostly Quaker State Filters, maybe 20, on both my 04 and 06 6.0 diesels and have had zero issues with either one.

Chris

you'da thunk the oem filter would have bene the 'best one' yet.. mine leakd oil UNTIL I changed to a napagold... had ford change the filter a couple times.. same deal.. seeping leak that made a mess...

soundguy

Ok, I think I caused this. i went to napa and asked for the filter. The man brought me the filter attached to the cap, o-ring already on it. Well, when I changed the oil last month, I had a hard time prying the oil filter out of the cap. The motorcraft filter I bought came w/ the foam filter only, so I figured it went with the old cap. Hence, the leak began. I will put the new assly from napa on tonight and see if it fixes it.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #26  
Ok, I think I caused this. i went to napa and asked for the filter. The man brought me the filter attached to the cap, o-ring already on it. Well, when I changed the oil last month, I had a hard time prying the oil filter out of the cap. The motorcraft filter I bought came w/ the foam filter only, so I figured it went with the old cap. Hence, the leak began. I will put the new assly from napa on tonight and see if it fixes it.

Crazy. I have never changed the cap on either of mine, just the filter and the O-Ring. Also non of my filters were "FOAM", they are a paper media.

Chris

Crazy. I have never changed the cap on either of mine, just the filter and the O-Ring. Also non of my filters were "FOAM", they are a paper media.

Chris

It may be paper media, I don't recall. My 04, i never changed the cap either, but I only changed the oil in it one time before selling it with about 7k miles on it. It was 2wd and I really need 4wd.

Changed the filter, o-ring and cap and so far so good. I will post again in a few days and let you know if it is fixed or if there is another leak.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #29  
I always just change as an assembly.. now I never have problems.

IMHO.. those plastic caps can warp after use...

soundguy

I always just change as an assembly.. now I never have problems.

IMHO.. those plastic caps can warp after use...

soundguy

Good point, did not think of that....under the hood with all that heat and from mech wrenching it off and on for oil changes. That may have been the issue with my old one.