2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #31  
IMHO.. I wish they were made of something like aluminum.. or even stamped steel. but at least the oring does al the sealing.. not the threads.

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak
Well, I seem to have fixed one leak, but there is still another apparently. My wife drove the truck about 20 miles and I noticed a film on the intercooler (blue) hose by the turbo. i had wiped it clean when I replaced the filter cap. I am going to degrease everything as good as possible and see if I can pinpoint the location and report back.

Well, I dropped it off @ the shop yesterday and they are telling me the oil leak is coming from the turbo and it needs to be replaced. I guess this makes sense having an oil film on the intercooler intake tube (blue hose part). The only thing I am questioning is they are telling me there ia a $100 deductible eventhough the motor is covered 5yr/60k. The truck has 59k miles. Is this true? i may call ford to verify.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #34  
Beautiful! Any chance you took it by Joe Cooper Ford in Shawnee, Ok.? They REALLY like to replace parts!:mad: Hard to believe a truck with 59,000 miles needs a new turbo.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #35  
yikes?

do you let it cool down for a bit before shutting it off?

soundguy

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #36  
Look at it this way. You are lucky it happened now while still under warranty.

Chris

yikes?

do you let it cool down for a bit before shutting it off?

soundguy

No, I just kill it. In my opinion, I think they are replacing the whole assembly to cover their rear. I think if they fix the leak then my t/c goes out, they may think they could be liable. I did not notice any performance drop, so I don't think the turbo itself was bad, just had an oil leak. I've read up on this 6.0 engine extensively. I changed the oil over to syn and due to the complex turbo, I've heard it is good to put your foot in it occassionaly to "clear it out." From what I could gather, the 06-07 was the best years for the 6.0. While @ the dealer checking on the truck Friday, I looked at a '10 model. That 6.4 seems really complex compared to the 6.0. Plus, I think the mileage on it is pretty bad. I plan on keeping my 06 for probably another 3-4 years, which will give Ford plenty of time to work out any kinks in the new diesel.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #38  
hmm.. I always like to let my turbocharged engines run a few seconds after stopping before I kill them. I've never had a pyrometer except with this f450 I just got and it's easy to see how high the exhaust temps are after putting your foot in it, and again.. how fast they come back down.. ie.. 15 seconds of setting in a parking space letting her idle drops the temp pretty fast.

soundguy

hmm.. I always like to let my turbocharged engines run a few seconds after stopping before I kill them. I've never had a pyrometer except with this f450 I just got and it's easy to see how high the exhaust temps are after putting your foot in it, and again.. how fast they come back down.. ie.. 15 seconds of setting in a parking space letting her idle drops the temp pretty fast.

soundguy

I'll give that a shot. I've done it in the past with tractors and dozers, etc...never with a truck.

/ 2006 6.0 Diesel oil leak #40  
seems like the bearings would coke up if you run it hot then shut it down without any cool down period, as oil flow to the turbo stops when the engine shuts down..

soundguy