2007 Bota B26 TLB

/ 2007 Bota B26 TLB #61  
SamWalton said:
So, did you build your earth-integrated structure. Please provide some details. I researched for years and like the Terra-Dome system. Check out our floor plan and the making of a Terra-Dome document and let me know what you think?

I built a hillside house using insulating concrete forms (ICFs), and moved in
5.5 y ago. If I had to do it again, I would also go with an insulated conc
roofing system, like PanelDeck. ICF construction is superior in virtually every
way to conventional conc forming methods. It has caught on well in the
rest of the US and Canada (not so well here in CA). ICFs also allowed me
to do the construction without a crew.

I looked at the Terra Dome site and there are some interesting pix. I am
a huge fan of integrating houses into the land, for esthetics, energy
efficiency and safety.

At the risk of taking over this thread, here is a photo after my last wall pour.

Attachments

• pouring_done.jpg
    pouring_done.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 147
   / 2007 Bota B26 TLB #62  
I know the tractor will pay for its self in a relatively short time by taking on most all normally contracted tasks. This way we will have control of schedule, method and quality of work. So with your experience what would you have to say about the B26?[/LEFT][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I certainly agree with you buying a TLB to do as much of your own work as possible. The money I save doing my own stuff, and the money you will save doing the same, is worth more than depreciation of the machine......and allows you to control scheduling aspects of your project, which can be huge in terms of timeline. I personally do not have any experience on a TLB smaller than a L48, I am a bit skeptical of a machine as small as a B26 to accomplish some of your inevitable tasks, but I am confident you bought the right class of machine as the B26 is MUCH MORE machine than bigger homeowner L or B series machines. I was at my local dealer today and made a point to look at a B26 in person, very nice machine and bigger than what I recall thinking of the B21. My bet is you will keep your machine after your project as the thought of not having it will leave you wanting. I understand the investment part of it as well, and selling it after your project is also an attractive alternative as the savings you will have made will actually leave you positive in terms of return on investment when figuring in the final sale value of the machine. Also, to clarify or reiterate, I may not like the styling over thick metal, but it seems all of kubotas and most other makers will be "sleek, stylish" going forward and maybe I am mourning the loss of conventional construction grade equipment looks and sheet metal thickness.

/ 2007 Bota B26 TLB #63  
dfkrug said:
Yeah, finding just the right tractor is tough....and expensive. Sometimes
you have to experience a machine personally, and sometimes you can get
useful info from someone else's experience. (Ain't that what TBN is for?)

Like Sam, I wanted to build my own earth-integrated structure. At the
time I had no tractors, and when I DID build, I hired owner/operators for
most of the excavation tasks. The machines included a Case 850 crawler
TLB, Case 350 crawler TLB, Cat 315 hyd excavator, and mostly a Case
580 TLB. I got my Kubota L2550DT in the midst of excavation, for minor
tasks. If I had to do it over, I would have purchased a CASE 580 4x4 TLB
or similar, then sold it after completion. I then would have bought a CUT
immediately after construction as I now find one indispensible.

Yeah you are right, TBN has been great help, but as for me I never have seen a BX24 before I bought it, the dont exsist over here. Its a great strong little machine, but for just a bit to small...My BX24 is up for sell with 50 hours on it. We will see what future has..... Expensive way of learning!
:D /Sam