2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #1  

jqnj

Tractor
New Holland 2420
Not sure where to look. Started tractor day before snowstorm, started . Ready! Day of snowstorm, nada. No glow plug light. Searched it on google, seemed the logical culprit was glow plug relay. nobody had one, so ordered online. Got it today, plugged in new glow plug relay....continued nada. All lights on dash work, no glow light when engaging key. Battery voltage checks good, tried jumping with extra voltage, still no glow plug recognition at dash when key is turned. I am a novice at best dealing with electrical. Baffled as to where to look, dealer is not great and would require tow to service. Maybe key itself?

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #2  
I would start by disconnecting and reconnecting the seat, pto, and neutral safety switches.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #3  
Do you get power to the glow plug relay when calling for glow plugs? If you're not energizing the relay the glow plugs won't heat. Check your fuses. Sometimes they look good even when they're not. Yes, it could be the ignition switch or the wire anywhere in between. I'd want to make darn sure it WAS the switch before replacing it, though. Can you bypass the relay to power the glow plugs for fifteen seconds or so to see if the glow plugs will heat or tractor will start?

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start
Hey, thanks for the tips. I have been unable to look at it yet, work crazy, having a go tomorrow.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #5  
Did you try starting it? Maybe the light is burned out. I know you said all lights work but I'm not sure about a light test for the glow plugs.

^Yes, tried multiple times. Usually I can hear the what I think is the glow plug relay click on and off once I turn key to middle position, and normally the glow plug light goes on and off with the key in middle position also. Now, no glow plug light, no click, no starter turn over at full right key position.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #7  
Ahhh, so you are getting no glow plugs and no starter power when you turn switch to those positions?

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #8  
Just to be clear... The glow plug light does not come on, but the engine will crank when key is in start position? If the engine does not crank at all (or make any noise while key is in start position), it sounds to me like either one of your safety switches is engaged (neutral gear?, PTO off?) or there is an electrical issue such as low voltage (could be the battery, or just dirty/loose connectors). If the engine does crank, but you have no glow plug light, try this... Leave tractor in gear (interlock will prohibit starter from engaging), turn key to start position. Does glow plug light turn on now? If so, then keep key in start position for about 10 seconds. Release key, and move transmission to neutral. Try to start. You should be able to tell if glow plugs were actually working during those 10 seconds.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #9  
^Yes, tried multiple times. Usually I can hear the what I think is the glow plug relay click on and off once I turn key to middle position, and normally the glow plug light goes on and off with the key in middle position also. Now, no glow plug light, no click, no starter turn over at full right key position.

The following thread may give you some items to check:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...06516-tc-35-wont-turn-over.html?highlight=PTO

Let us know what you find.

^That's funny, sort of. I had a tc33 and used that thread to fix a no start issue about five years ago. Mine was neutral safety switch on the 33. I have checked fuses on my 2420, all good, as I have lights on dash anyway. I will update as I am going to put some hours into this today. Hope it is not key switch, part is a week out was told.