2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start
Put in new battery, glow plug light works, starter engages and tractor starts! Wahoo! Let it run for 5 minutes, shut it off and button everything up. Reattach side panel, remount all the relays above fuse panel. go to restart, same as before. No glow plug, no start! WT? I found a wire that appears compromised, but after cutting it it does not look bad. I am going to splice a new section in and retry. Too cold for this crap!

Attachments

• 20210213_102944.jpg
    20210213_102944.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
Wire was not the culprit, this is frustrating. I have everything "open" as before, wire harness pulled toward right side of tractor, all relays not bolted in to frame, where it started earlier. I tried jumping it, in case alt is bad and drained battery in the time I had it running, same result, no glow plug light, no start. I guess there is a bad connection somewhere relating to relays. I just am not sure I have the ability or patience to find it.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #13  
Wire was not the culprit, this is frustrating. I have everything "open" as before, wire harness pulled toward right side of tractor, all relays not bolted in to frame, where it started earlier. I tried jumping it, in case alt is bad and drained battery in the time I had it running, same result, no glow plug light, no start. I guess there is a bad connection somewhere relating to relays. I just am not sure I have the ability or patience to find it.

If you could have someone keep the key turned to start position, then you could start wiggling wires and maybe get it to catch. It would then give you a better idea of where to look. It sounds like when you replaced the battery you must have activated a weak connection only have it open back up.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #14  
Check both battery cables. Even if the look good at both ends, it’s not uncommon for the cable to corrode and partially break somewhere under the nice shiny vinyl sheathing.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #15  
Would one of your glow plugs be burned out. On mine, the indicator wont come on if the glow plug is burned out.

^The only reason I am doubting a bad glow plug is that it functioned fine once I put new battery in. Could I have bought a bad battery? One of the cells was down on fluid when I pulled cap, Duralast deep cycle, 685cca.

Last night, I pulled each relay plug apart, blew it out with air, then shot some wd-40 on each plug end. Did the same with key ignition plug. Tried starting after each plug was done, no low plug, no start after each, trying to isolate culprit. Decided last night to bring back new battery for testing in the a.m. Was ready to pull battery this a.m. , and decided before I do to try to start it. Low and behold, glow plug light, starter turns and engine starts! Did not shut it down this time, and only put the lower right cowling back on, went to work for a couple hours moving snow piles. Very happy that is done! Not feeling warm and fuzzy about the tractor starting reliably in the future though.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #18  
New Holland went to a series of modules to simplify 'quick fixing' .
Problem is you can't return any module if it won't fix the problem.
Heck I've seen a factory mechanic stumped even after swapping many modules.

/ 2007 NH T2420 no glow plug/start #19  
Good news. I wonder if there was frozen water inside a microswitch.

^ I think maybe just general corrosion/bad contact. The tractor is stored under a barn roof canopy, all electric, especially connected to the firewall, is dry, maybe too dry. It has started regularly for five days now, I still have not remounted all the relays and fully bolted in everything. Worried I might disturb something:duh: