2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #11  
Good luck! :thumbsup:

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working
Well we got it back to the house. Pretty embarrassing having to be towed and/or winched out by a dang electric 4x4 glorified golf cart. My buddy got a great big chuckle (and a case of beer) out of the whole thing.

Next stop- buying a multimeter and following y'all's instructions. BTW, I ordered a 3000 lb Superwinch last night. Maybe I won't get stuck again before I get this thing fixed.

THanks for the help. I'll report the outcome.

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #13  
I had my winch installed at purchase but it is wired for both front and rear. It is a standard 2" receiver hitch that just un-pins from front receptor and then shifted to rear, plug in cables and you have a rear mounted winch. I have only been stuck twice with my Ranger, both times I used the rear mount to winch me out.

Final verdict is in....looks like the wires were chewed by some $!??***+! Rat. I didnt fix this myself. Took it to the local dealer where we purchased it. Service guy claims if it had chewed it off closer at the differential then I may have had a $1000.00 differential replacement! As it was, the wiring was protruding about 6" so there was enough to work with. Seems fishy that the diffential would need replacing if the wire was too short. Anyway, the repair was only around $30. Soooooo glad it was a cheap fix.

Thanks for the input. BTW, I did buy a multimeter so I might be ready for the next crisis.

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #15  
Mechanic would say that because the wires are probably epoxied into the hub with no way to remove without destroying the unit. Locking device probably not sold separately.

/ 2008 Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 not working #16  
Final verdict is in....looks like the wires were chewed by some $!??***+! Rat. I didnt fix this myself. Took it to the local dealer where we purchased it. Service guy claims if it had chewed it off closer at the differential then I may have had a $1000.00 differential replacement! As it was, the wiring was protruding about 6" so there was enough to work with. Seems fishy that the diffential would need replacing if the wire was too short. Anyway, the repair was only around $30. Soooooo glad it was a cheap fix.

Thanks for the input. BTW, I did buy a multimeter so I might be ready for the next crisis.

Guess it wasn't Polaris reliability problems after all!

Glad it was a cheap fix.

I guess that explains the deal with the wires. Seems like a disposable type system to me though.

Last edited:
Boy am I glad it was a cheap repair too, Papaperk.