2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #11  
It still is rated to tow more than the same truck of a decade ago.

I think it the A6 trans. I don't know the ratios, but am guessing it may have a tad lower first. Plus lots more power. It's all about the final drive ratio and just one piece of the whole picture.

I bet it gets good milage. I think it's an excellent option for those not looking to tow 20+k daily. Rather for someone who likes to haul heavy, and tow moderate 10-15k loads.

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #12  
It still is rated to tow more than the same truck of a decade ago. I think it the A6 trans. I don't know the ratios, but am guessing it may have a tad lower first. Plus lots more power. It's all about the final drive ratio and just one piece of the whole picture. I bet it gets good milage. I think it's an excellent option for those not looking to tow 20+k daily. Rather for someone who likes to haul heavy, and tow moderate 10-15k loads.

I totally understand all that. Just weird to see. I remember when going with 3.73 gears in 2006 instead of 4.10 or 4.30 was a sacrifice.

Chris

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #13  
I totally understand all that. Just weird to see. I remember when going with 3.73 gears in 2006 instead of 4.10 or 4.30 was a sacrifice.

Chris

I guess calling it a sacrifice or an improvement all depends on how one plans to use the truck I guess.

If bought for a hauler, dump body, etc. Loaded to 14k with the A6, 3.42, and gobbs of power, I am sure it be more impressive than my 05 loaded to its 12.2k max.

I am sure it would be equally impressive towing around my tractor and trailer at ~12k

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #14  
I guess calling it a sacrifice or an improvement all depends on how one plans to use the truck I guess.

If bought for a hauler, dump body, etc. Loaded to 14k with the A6, 3.42, and gobbs of power, I am sure it be more impressive than my 05 loaded to its 12.2k max.

I am sure it would be equally impressive towing around my tractor and trailer at ~12k

Yes. My use is pulling large boats, starting at 15,000# upto nearly 30,000# out of the drink. On a steep ramp and in 4Lo the deeper gears are sure nice to feather in the power.

Totally different uses.

Chris

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #15  
Is this the first published SAE tow ratings chart? I don't think I've seen any other manufacture use that. Which, if you read all the fine print includes standard weights for equipment, passengers, etc.

Very comprehensive and much closer to the real world towing limits. But wow, are they up there! I get gun-shy with 10K lbs in tow!

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #17  
   / 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #19  
Curious what licensing you have to haul the big boats? Anything special in regard to state/fed to tow like that, special registration etc?

Yes. My use is pulling large boats, starting at 15,000# upto nearly 30,000# out of the drink. On a steep ramp and in 4Lo the deeper gears are sure nice to feather in the power.

Totally different uses.

Chris

/ 2015 Dodge Ram 3500 Trailer Towing Chart #20  
Curious what licensing you have to haul the big boats? Anything special in regard to state/fed to tow like that, special registration etc?

Nothing special. Our longest haul is maybe 60 miles but honestly most are under 10. We do get over width permits and have placards and chase vehicles.

My personal boat is about 16,000# and I tow it about 3000 miles a year. I take my chances with it. Its 9.5' wide,13'6" tall, and about 38' long. The 9.5' width puts it over but so far no issues in 8 years.

This year I have not been as active. Building a new house has put a choke on things.

Chris