2015 Yukon XL

Patches

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti 3054xs TLB
You can simply add Techron fuel treatment to the fuel tank every 5/10,000 miles, in the proper concentration. This will help with the valve contamination as well the injectors

herm0016

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 1641, AC 5020
You can simply add Techron fuel treatment to the fuel tank every 5/10,000 miles, in the proper concentration. This will help with the valve contamination as well the injectors

fuel additives do not help with carbon buildup on the valve in a DI engine.

timswi

Tractor
Kubota BX23 TLB, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota Z724 & Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring
drive it hard. the 5.3 DI does not have this issue near as bad as many other models, and I believe if you drive it a little harder that the valves with get hotter and burn it off better. I have 110k on my 15 sierra and it runs like a top / does not burn a drop of oil.

Agreed, My 16 Sierra never used a drop of oil...Those motors like to be run, not baby'd.

rangerfredbob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L260
The more highway the better I believe, my boss has a '14 Silverado with the 6.2L DI and it's been good to go with 150K or so on it, somehow it bent a pushrod a couple months ago but still ran just had a tick, they thought a rocker was breaking down or something, tearing down getting ready for a rebuild and was just a pushrod. Like said, the more highway and driving the better, if it's stuck in city traffic at idle a lot it might have more issues. Another coworker has a Malibu with a V6 DI of some form and it has close to 200k on it and no engine troubles...

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I had a suburban with a 6.0 with over 300k. The rear main was pouring but besides that no problems.

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Well...
We have a Malibu (4 cylinder) and an Impala (6 cylinder), both with GDI, and both failed catastrophically. They were unrepairable and had to be replaced. Digging into the dead engines, the backs of the valves were completely coated with carbon. Was that a contributing factor to the failures? We'll never know. Both have variable valve timing, and both had failed cam sequencers. At some point, the timing was so far off that they both slammed valves into the pistons, metal flies, and POOF! As to what happened first to cause the eventual timing system failure, again, we'll never know.

Our mechanic says GM recommends periodically cleaning the intake valves using their top engine cleaner. He says when he did it the first time, he thought he killed his engine, it smokes and shudders for about 25 minutes. However, it appears to work and he did it to both of our engine replacements, and will do it every few oil changes.

So, just be aware of that potential issue, and it's a recommended maintenance item, so it should probably be done at the recommended intervals.

MoMower

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey GC1710.
I had a suburban with a 6.0 with over 300k. The rear main was pouring but besides that no problems.

Those 6.0s will last forever. Mines at 230k currently. Never moves unless it’s towing.

fried1765

Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
Those 6.0s will last forever. Mines at 230k currently. Never moves unless it痴 towing.

My 1997 GMC 2500 Suburban has the 454V-8 (7.4L).
It will tow ANYTHING!
It has only 130K, and is stored in my barn now,... because I have no use for it.
Can't quite bear to sell it yet though.
Maybe E-Bay this Summer ???

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Well...

Our mechanic says GM recommends periodically cleaning the intake valves using their top engine cleaner. He says when he did it the first time, he thought he killed his engine, it smokes and shudders for about 25 minutes. However, it appears to work and he did it to both of our engine replacements, and will do it every few oil changes.

So, just be aware of that potential issue, and it's a recommended maintenance item, so it should probably be done at the recommended intervals.

Have you seen that done Moss ? Just wondering how that top cleaner gets administered.....

Rgds, D.