2015 Yukon XL

/ 2015 Yukon XL #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
After having a 3rd child and with needed space with 3 kids and farm/horse activities, we have decided to trade our 15 Armada for a 15 Yukon XL. It is a SLT with the 5.3. It has 85k miles. Great shape. Wife puts 8-10k miles a year on a vehicle. Last GM product we owned was a 2011 Silverado with the same motor. Can you guys provide pros and cons, especially mechanical, on the Yukon? As always, thanks in advance.

/ 2015 Yukon XL #2  
After having a 3rd child and with needed space with 3 kids and farm/horse activities, we have decided to trade our 15 Armada for a 15 Yukon XL. It is a SLT with the 5.3. It has 85k miles. Great shape. Wife puts 8-10k miles a year on a vehicle. Last GM product we owned was a 2011 Silverado with the same motor. Can you guys provide pros and cons, especially mechanical, on the Yukon? As always, thanks in advance.

If you know someone with a Consumer Reports subscription, that might be your best source for information.
Thousands of inputs on all sorts of vehicles!

/ 2015 Yukon XL #3  
I own a yukon xl, 5.3 as a family vehicle. Owned mostly Chevrolet trucks before. We like the yukon for all we do. Most missed throwing stuff over side of truck bed. Great family hauling unit. I can haul stuff without getting wet. Lots of people when needed.Tows well light duty. If you intend pulling heavy,would suggest 6.0 engine,great power difference pulling. My past experience with this engine as been good over the years. I have had several trucks with 5.3 engine no major issues. I do pull a dual axle landscape trailer as well as a 16ft foot easily with it. Hope that helps . I'm sure there are others with pros and cons this is what I experienced.

/ 2015 Yukon XL #4  
I own a yukon xl, 5.3 as a family vehicle. Owned mostly Chevrolet trucks before. We like the yukon for all we do. Most missed throwing stuff over side of truck bed. Great family hauling unit. I can haul stuff without getting wet. Lots of people when needed.Tows well light duty. If you intend pulling heavy,would suggest 6.0 engine,great power difference pulling. My past experience with this engine as been good over the years. I have had several trucks with 5.3 engine no major issues. I do pull a dual axle landscape trailer as well as a 16ft foot easily with it. Hope that helps . I'm sure there are others with pros and cons this is what I experienced.

Keeping your stuff dry and a lot more theft resistant over an open bed truck is great. I had a 2500 suburban and now a Ford excursion because I needed more towing capacity than a half ton.

/ 2015 Yukon XL #5  
Ive had numerous 5.3's over the years and never had a problem with any of them. Maintain them and they will serve you well. The only real full size SUV issues I've run into are the front wheel bearings need replaced sometimes--hit/miss there.

/ 2015 Yukon XL #6  
just about bullet proof, but if there is a problem, generally cheap and easy to fix in your driveway. example: a wheel bearing can be done in an hour and costs about 100 bucks. probably less if its not your first time.

/ 2015 Yukon XL

Thanks everyone . We picked it up today, 2015 SLT XL. Very clean. 5.3, 3.08 gears 2wd. Won’t tow often, maybe 3-5 times a year, 5-6k lbs max. With 3 kids, we outgrew the Armada. IMG_2767.JPGIMG_2768.JPGIMG_2769.JPG

/ 2015 Yukon XL #8  
The 2011 5.3 you had was different than a 2015 5.3L, the new one is direct injected and almost everything is different but rod bearings... but that doesn't change that it is a great engine like the LS 5.3L, the main downside of the direct injected engines is the EGR and crank vent sludge eventually caking on the intake valves and the fuel injectors don't spray gas on the valves to clean them off...

/ 2015 Yukon XL
The 2011 5.3 you had was different than a 2015 5.3L, the new one is direct injected and almost everything is different but rod bearings... but that doesn't change that it is a great engine like the LS 5.3L, the main downside of the direct injected engines is the EGR and crank vent sludge eventually caking on the intake valves and the fuel injectors don't spray gas on the valves to clean them off...

Is there a additive, like marvel mystery oil for example, that you can add to the crankcase to help this?

/ 2015 Yukon XL #10  
Is there a additive, like marvel mystery oil for example, that you can add to the crankcase to help this?

drive it hard. the 5.3 DI does not have this issue near as bad as many other models, and I believe if you drive it a little harder that the valves with get hotter and burn it off better. I have 110k on my 15 sierra and it runs like a top / does not burn a drop of oil.