2017 Total Solar Eclipse...

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #132  
Here in the NC Triad we got about a 3/4 eclipse and cloud cover during most of that. I took advantage of the shade and mowed our yard when it began. Dark is dark, so I don't get the big deal for most folks. I also took the opportunity to see if my daylight ham radio propagation improved, but I could not see a difference there either.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #133  
You may be able to pass if you start pronouncing "chimney" as "chimley." Also, watch your pronunciation of "salmon." :)

Steve

Funny enough, the only other time I heard "chimney" as "chimley" was when I lived in upstate NY.

I did take some guys down to Atlanta for some technical training end of last year. One guy was staying extended to take his wife in Atlanta afterwards. Another guy told me he was staying for the state fire. I couldn't figure out what he meant and asked him where they were going to get all the firewood. He looked at me perplexed. He repeated, "No, the state fire!" One of the other guys next to me told me he meant "fair":laughing:

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #134  
Funny enough, the only other time I heard "chimney" as "chimley" was when I lived in upstate NY.

I hear it locally, but I have heard Jim and Jesse (bluegrass legends from SW Virginia) use "chimley" in a song.

Have you ever talked to any of the natives of the Outer Banks?

Steve

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #135  
I have heard it locally, but I heard Jim and Jesse (bluegrass legends from SW Virginia) use "chimley" in a song.

Have you ever talked to any of the natives of the Outer Banks?

Steve

No. Only place I go to is Topsail. I'm one of those people that when I find something I like, I just stick to it.

Did have a co worker when from a previous company when I worked in Pennsylvania who was a native from Mt. Pleasant SC (he recently moved to Pa like myself back then). What is so funny is I still talk to him now, and I understand him 100% on everything he says, whereas when I worked with him years ago, I couldn't figure out half the things he was saying when we talked on the phone LOL (I joke with him that I did spend some time working in Charleston which helped me out).

Spent some time around the Gulf Shore area working with some guys from Louisiana, and man, that "cajun talk", I was completely befuddled the first couple of weeks.

We have a VERY diverse country when it comes to the english language:D

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #137  
A better trace -

Capture.PNG

Returned right back to 90.1 deg at 3:45

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #138  
Further to what I've written about Captain Cook & Co., and a wee bit more recent... I just watched a story on my local news about a bloke who anticipated this eclipse far enough back that he bought land (acreage) directly in the optimum path, built his house and has set up his own observatory.

Now that's dedication!
Those folks are dedicated amateur astronomers who already lived and worked in the area. So when it came time to buy their property they chose that land. They didn't just buy it for the eclipse.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #139  
Those folks are dedicated amateur astronomers who already lived and worked in the area. So when it came time to buy their property they chose that land. They didn't just buy it for the eclipse.

Well of course not, obviously the bloke wouldn't build an observatory for a one-off solar eclipse.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #140  
Well of course not, obviously the bloke wouldn't build an observatory for a one-off solar eclipse.

Some people would, if they could spend $50,000 to make $50,500.

And of course the government over here would build it for one event.