2017 Total Solar Eclipse...

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #121  
Michael,

I am originally from NC, but I taught at Clemson for 30 years. Since retiring in 2007, I spend most of my time at my farm in NC, but I still have my home in the Friendship community.

I traveled Highway 59 quite a few times back in the day -- it was my preferred route to I-85 when I was headed south.

Do you remember going to Seneca High with any Suttons? One of my colleagues had three sons: Wes, Matt, and ??????. Wes is the oldest but he may be younger than you. How about any Lytles? Another colleague had three daughters: Cindy, Stephanie, and ????????. I think Cindy is the oldest, but again she may not be as old as you.

Steve

Steve, I graduated with Wes. Great guy. Was voted most likely to succeed in HS. And he has done well since. I always respected him. Carried a brief case to school and almost always wore a tie.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #122  
Maybe it's already been posted, but bears repeating. Pets and livestock have eyes too. If you can keep them indoors during the eclipse, please do so.

Lol. We had a few people post warnings around here about animals. I really hope they weren't serious.

Eclipse here was a bust. Darkness was cool and happened faster than I expected but mostly full clouds for the entire event. Still had a great time with friends and family.

I will say I was surprised how bright it was with only a sliver if sun until it completely disappeared. Now I understand why everyone says even a 99% eclipse is nothing like a full eclipse.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #123  
College?!?!?!? Really???? Where?

Not sure if your lovely wife has mentioned it to you, but our daughter, Amy, is in her class this year. She transferred over from WOMS for 7th grade. She's excited to be there!

Dropped Maria off at USC Beaufort. Going to be playing college ball! It was her first choice, so I'm happy for her, but terribly sad nonetheless.

No, my bride didn't tell me. I'll talk to her tonight. We've been focused on this college thing...

Good luck; the Mrs. has a reputation as a tough teacher. But, her students always come back to her in HS and tell her how much she did to set them up for the future. Good news/bad news kind of thing. I'll say, Seneca banks the scholarships every year for the graduating classes. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this change.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #125  
Temperature trace from the weather station (red trace) - starts at 90.1 deg at 12:34 pm and drops to 81.1 deg at 1:54 pm before beginning back up. Last is at 85.1 deg at 2:21. We had 2:33 min of totality and PERFECT atmospheric conditions in central TN. An occasional thin cloud.

I really liked the post I saw about just how is it that the moon happens to be EXACTLY the right diameter to totally obstruct the sun when this happens. It's almost as if it were designed and planned that way. I have little doubt that there is life elsewhere in the entire vast universe, but clearly THIS solar system was designed just for us!

Capture.PNG

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #126  
Steve, I graduated with Wes. Great guy. Was voted most likely to succeed in HS. And he has done well since. I always respected him. Carried a brief case to school and almost always wore a tie.

David,

Wes and his brothers were quite a handful when young if their dad, Russ, is to be believed. Russ's wife, Julia, had taken the boys to their pediatrician. The pediatrician chastised Julia for her sternness when disciplining the boys; however, he lost it when one of the boys broke an office door while swinging on it.

I still chuckle when I recall some of the stories Russ related in the coffee room, although I think some (many?, most?, all?) of his stories may have been embellished. ;)

Russ reported on his first trip with a new faculty member, Mark.

Russ: You know, Mark does great animal impersonations.

Me: Really?

Russ: Yes, their smells, not their sounds.

Steve

Last edited:
   / 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #127  
0821171437.jpgsun was less intense, other than that, you wouldn't have known it happened.

/ 2017 Total Solar Eclipse... #128  
THAT'S why I'm still a relocated Yankee:laughing:

Heck, it took me a couple of years to figure out that the river separated Jonesville / Elkin.

Don't feel bad. I have spent most of my life in the Carolinas, but I always have to look up the location where the Yadkin becomes the Pee Dee.

Steve