2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud #11  
When you remove the deck, grease the zerk on the rear u-joint on the shaft going from the engine to the transaxle.

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud
I removed the deck, nothing wrong almost new, greased zerks, cleaned clippings, no real difference in noise. It must be a thing with all hydraulic tractors/ mowers. Looking for better hearing protection for comfort and less stress. Or quieter mowing?

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud #13  
I removed the deck, nothing wrong almost new, greased zerks, cleaned clippings, no real difference in noise. It must be a thing with all hydraulic tractors/ mowers. Looking for better hearing protection for comfort and less stress. Or quieter mowing?
Simply not true.. of all hydraulic tractors/mowers. Hope you find the problem.

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud #14  
With the deck off, did you crawl under the tractor and grease the one zerk that most people miss? The neighbor's x700 never was greased there either and is getting a new shaft now. See post #11 for location.

Last edited:
didn't know about that one, just greased the ones on the deck. Get it later

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud #16  
If the blades have been sharpened since new check them to be sure they were balanced properly, as well as not bent.

I've had a deck-spindle bearing go out at <200 hrs (HD blade, big rock) and it caused more noise than vibration. Didn't feel noticeably different but I sure could hear it.

deck was like new, the spindles and gearbox spun nicely , the noise is just something I need to mitigate with better ear plugs . I did run the tractor not maxed out but still in the green range and it seemed more tolerable .

DSC01512.JPG
DSC01513.JPG

/ 2018 low hour X738 54" deck extremely loud #18  
Check those deck-spindle bearings again.
I used to trade Deere mowers your size every spring for a new one. Mine usually had 40 to 60 hours on them.
One fall day I mowed something hard and everything came to a sudden stop.
That mower deck made a bunch of noise after that.
The blade had a small notch in it but a file fixed that.
Greasing the spindle didn't quiet it down any and there was no noticeable difference when spinning it by hand.
A few more hours of mowing for the year and it would be traded for a new one so I never did find out what the problem was, but I bet it was the spindle and/or bearing.

Mowed for about three hours today and I rescind the statement of the deck and mowing is too loud, just an adjustment to a larger machine I guess. The larger tractor is more comfortable and with the wider deck more efficient . One thing ,the mulching kit does load up the machine quite a bit in tall grass. But I don't need to run a bagger .