2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together???

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together??? #1  

gkluck

Tractor
Yanmar YT359
Hello Everyone, I'm looking for guidance.

I have a 2018 Yanmar YT359 and I bought a new Woods BH-90x backhoe for it from an implement dealer in the next state over. Then I went to the nearest Yanmar dealer to purchase the sub-frame for the tractor so I could be sure I got the correct one. The Yanmar dealer ordered the sub-frame from Woods and it was shipped to my house. The sub-frame itself cost a little over $2,000.

I received it last fall and tried to install it in spring. Nothing seemed to make sense. After three attempts I finally took it in to my local tractor dealer who offered to install the sub-frame for $800. They spent half a day working on it and after they spoke with both Yanmar and Woods they informed me that Woods does not make a sub-frame for my Yanmar YT359 that goes with their BH-90x backhoe. However they do build the B90 backhoe specifically for Yanmar. The local tractor dealer didn't charge me for their time which I was very happy about.

Apparently there's something different about the Yanmar rear axel that prevents the Woods sub-frame from working properly with my new Yanmar. The sub-frame they sent me was for a John Deere they thought would work. I returned the sub-frame for a refund but they would only refund 70% of my money.

I asked if I could buy the proper sub-frame for my tractor that works with the yanmar B90 (thinking I could make a transition plate if the bolt holes didn't line up). Yanmar and Woods both told me they cannot sell the b90 sub-frame separately so now I'm stuck with a new Woods BH-90x that I cannot use. I suppose I'll have to sell it.

I could use a 3-point connection but I've read that's not good for the tractor.

With all the experience the members have on this forum I was hoping you could provide some guidance. Is there any other option I could try? I have 100 acres and several jobs waiting for a backhoe.

Any/all input is appreciated.

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together??? #2  
gkluck, I'm a bit baffled by this. First, my understanding is that you have the correct backhoe for the YT359, namely the BH90-X. I was told when I bought my YT359C, that the backhoe it came with was a woods BH90-X, painted black, with the Yanmar name on it. At the time, there was a used BH90 locally for sale, but with a Kubota sub-frame. I talked with the Woods factory to understand if I could buy the sub-frame for the YT359C and mate it with the used BH90. They indicated the BH90 and BH90-X connections were interchangeable, so this would work. I think there were contract restrictions with getting the sub-frame from Woods. The net of it was that after buying the sub-frame from the Yanmar dealer, I'd only save maybe 2.5K and then have a used, off-color backhoe, with who knows what existing issues. I went new. I think you need to push harder on this. Call a different Yanmar dealer and ask them exactly what Woods backhoe can be bought with the YT359C, to verify what I'm saying. When they confirm it is the BH90-X, then get a quote for a sub-frame and the hydraulic hose kit. I'd be surprised if Woods even makes the BH90 anymore. You should be able to install the frame yourself. I can crawl under and take pictures for you if need be.

The BH90-X is a beefy backhoe. You can easily lift the back of the tractor up with it(I have filled tires). I'm not sure how excited I'd be to try a 3pt attachment for it.

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together???
Thanks for the input eekbin. I just spoke with a Product Coordinator from Yanmar. I asked the following...

"Can you send me the model number, manual, price, or anything else you can on the B90 subframe so I can figure out how to use my new Woods BH-90X backhoe with my new Yanmar YT359 tractor. I'm hoping I can purchase the subframe for the B90 that fits my tractor and use it with the BH90X."

here is his response...

"We cannot release the subframe information. When you buy the B90 from a Yanmar dealer, it comes with the subframe. Outside of that, we do not sell the subframe or release any specification information on it. Your local dealer would be happy to get you a backhoe package that includes the subframe though."

Is it just me or does that sound really odd? "We cannot release the subframe information"???

I also spoke with Hoyetractor.com thinking they might have some ideas since they have a great forum for yanmar tractors and sell yanmar parts. They said they were unable to get the B90 subframe and that I would have to go through a "New Yanmar" dealer.

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together??? #4  
I'll call my dealer and check if they are able to order it....but I'm up in the North East. If they say yes, then maybe they can have it shipped to you in WI. BTW, in my previous post; the earlier Woods version was a BH9000, with the Kubota name being BH90 I think.

Last edited:
Thanks. It'll be interesting to hear what your local dealer says.

Hi eekbin. Any suggestions from your local dealer? I wonder if the 3 point mounting kit is a viable option. Is a Yanmar YT359 rated to handle a Woods BH90x mounted with a 3 point mounting kit? Woods sells a 3 point mounting kit for the BH90X. I believe the kit number is 1012606.

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together??? #7  
Did you ever get this solved?

After trying everything I can think of I've finally given up. I spoke with Yanmar reps, numerous dealers, and Woods. I know this is not an issue with Woods or the Yanmar dealers. This is on Yanmar Corporate.

Over the past year these are the types of questions and statements I got back from Yanmar (either directly or through dealers)...

- Yanmar (through a dealer rep) said they were tired of selling the sub-frame without the backhoe to customers so they took it out of their system. They wanted to know where I found the information for the sub-frame. I said I found it in the parts manual for my tractor and that it was listed as an available accessory both as an entire unit and as an itemized list of parts.

- A dealer rep told me that Yanmar has a few extra sub-frames lying around but they won't sell them because they have no idea what to charge for them since they've been removed from their system.

- Then Yanmar said they stopped selling the sub-frame as a separate item due to liability reasons. They claimed someone might attach something to their sub-frame that wasn't appropriate and get hurt. I pointed out that Yanmar sells a quick attach for their three point hitch on their tractors and asked how that was any different considering they have no idea what a user might attach to the quick attach. They didn't have an answer for that question.

So here I sit with a new high quality backhoe from Woods that I cannot use on my brand new (2018) tractor. I'm trying to sell it for $7,000 which is considerably less than the list price. Apparently Woods sells a sub-frame for any make and model of tractor except my Yanmar YT359. If anyone is interested PM me and we'll talk. I'd also consider trading it for a skid steer (paying the difference in price if needed).

It would be nice if Yanmar stepped up and worked with me on this considering Woods makes the same exact backhoe B90 for Yanmar and just slaps the Yanmar name on it, but apparently they aren't willing to do that.

/ 2018 Yanmar YT359 and new Woods BH-90x backhoe won't work together??? #9  
I may be missing something here making this question dumb: have you considered asking even here if there is someone who has the subframe you need and you being able to have a local shop copy it? No doubt that would be costly, but maybe not as costly as you are facing.

I would consider having one fabricated if it was for a reasonable price. As I mentioned above, Yanmar refuses to provide the information on their sub-frames so I'm not sure where to begin. I'd hate to get in too deep in this project.