2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation
This is a tougher one to ascertain. Warren Oil Co. is who makes Mahindra stuff. Napa sells "Coastal" oils also made by Warren. My manual states you can use Chevron THD or Texaco but try and find these and they are no cheaper when I was trying to find alternative hydraulic /tranny fluid.

People have been putting the Tractor Supply stuff in their machines with seemingly no ill affects but there have been some issues with their cheap line of oils just barely meeting specs. Personally, I wouldn't use it.
You can get 9 gallons of Mahindra stuff for $150 at Bill's Tractor. I don't think it includes shipping which adds up.

The key is to match additives that the Mahindra oil has and I doubt any "good" oil is going to be cheap. I'd ask your dealer to ship you the Mahindra stuff and call it a day. We don't change it often like motor oils anyway so whats $150 over say 4 or 5 years with added piece of mind that you're using what the manufacturer is calling for.

You can Google Warren to see what they say.
Thanks! Upon further review, I misread the service points and I was thinking I had to change the hydraulic fluid after 50 hours but it's just the filter I have to change. So my next question is it says to change the transmission oil so it that the same as hydraulic fluid or is that something totally different? If different please advise what type, brand, store, and/or weblink I should buy.

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #12  
I think most tractors these days use a common sump for transmission and hydraulic fluid. Not sure on your machine but my LS is set up this way.

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #13  
Thanks! Upon further review, I misread the service points and I was thinking I had to change the hydraulic fluid after 50 hours but it's just the filter I have to change. So my next question is it says to change the transmission oil so it that the same as hydraulic fluid or is that something totally different? If different please advise what type, brand, store, and/or weblink I should buy.
We have what's called a universal trans/hydraulic fluid tractors. So it's all the same stuff you pour in to cover both the hydraulic part of the tractor as well as the gear part of the tractor.

Once it's time to replace the hydraulic fluid do folks recommend Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal.? It comes from tractor supply.

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #15  
Once it's time to replace the hydraulic fluid do folks recommend Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal.? It comes from tractor supply.
Plenty of folks use it so I'd guess they'd recommend it. But the devil is in the details so you would need to know what these folks owned as tractors..
It's cheap for a reason.
The key is to find an oil with the matching additives and The Travelers can might say "good for Mahindra" but all Mahindra's are not the same. I never found Mahindra saying "Travelers" as a recommended oil. There are some who measured Travelers and stated they use only the bare amount of additives to qualify for tractor brands.

Even when I changed mine out at 50 hrs, the Mahindra oil that came out of the tractor was not the same as the new blend Mahindra oil going in.
Might had something to do with hydrostatic tractors Mahindra began selling.

If you are near a Napa store, you may be better off using their "Coastal" brand as Warren Oil makes Coastal as well as the Mahindra oils.
No good oil is going to be cheap for these newer tractors.

You can look at it this way: you seem willing to do this job yourself. A tractor place might charge $600 for them to do it. If it costs you $250-$300 to buy a good oil and have it sent to your place, you're still ahead of the game plus you're not worrying about the oil you used.
And you'll do this what? Every five years or so?

Last edited:
   / 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #16  
Your owners manual should tell you what specifications the oil should meet, just read the label on the Traveller oil and it’ll tell you if it meets the specs. If it does then use it. If not, check others until you find one that does and use that. I just use what my dealer uses because he sells it at a good price and if I ever have a warranty issue it removes oil as a point of contention.

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #17  
Your owners manual should tell you what specifications the oil should meet, just read the label on the Traveller oil and it’ll tell you if it meets the specs. If it does then use it. If not, check others until you find one that does and use that. I just use what my dealer uses because he sells it at a good price and if I ever have a warranty issue it removes oil as a point of contention.
Not always a true test. You can "meet a spec" minimally and still be considered meeting the spec.

Plenty of folks use it so I'd guess they'd recommend it. But the devil is in the details so you would need to know what these folks owned as tractors..
It's cheap for a reason.
The key is to find an oil with the matching additives and The Travelers can might say "good for Mahindra" but all Mahindra's are not the same. I never found Mahindra saying "Travelers" as a recommended oil. There are some who measured Travelers and stated they use only the bare amount of additives to qualify for tractor brands.

Even when I changed mine out at 50 hrs, the Mahindra oil that came out of the tractor was not the same as the new blend Mahindra oil going in.
Might had something to do with hydrostatic tractors Mahindra began selling.

If you are near a Napa store, you may be better off using their "Coastal" brand as Warren Oil makes Coastal as well as the Mahindra oils.
No good oil is going to be cheap for these newer tractors.

You can look at it this way: you seem willing to do this job yourself. A tractor place might charge $600 for them to do it. If it costs you $250-$300 to buy a good oil and have it sent to your place, you're still ahead of the game plus you're not worrying about the oil you used.
And you'll do this what? Every five years or so?
@arrow Can you confirm something for me, please? I initially read in the manual you just need to change the hydraulic filter and replace the lost fluid but watching some videos I see folks changing all the hydraulic fluid out at 50 hours. So now I am a little confused as to what the correct path is, refill vs. replace. It sounds like you replaced yours at 50 hours, is that correct?

Also, you are right what was in the filter was yellow and I replaced it with a Mahindra brand (purple) so now I am thinking I should replace it all because the additives might not match up 100%. Thoughts?

In the meantime, I will look into coastal or make another 2.5-hour trip to get the Mahindra brand again. Grrrr

I must be overlooking it. I can't find my paper manual so I downloaded a PDF version from Mahindra's site. If you have any suggestions in what area to look in please let me know. Thanks!

/ 2019 Mahindra 1626 Shuttle Shift Engine Oil Recommendation #20  
@arrow Can you confirm something for me, please? I initially read in the manual you just need to change the hydraulic filter and replace the lost fluid but watching some videos I see folks changing all the hydraulic fluid out at 50 hours. So now I am a little confused as to what the correct path is, refill vs. replace. It sounds like you replaced yours at 50 hours, is that correct?

Also, you are right what was in the filter was yellow and I replaced it with a Mahindra brand (purple) so now I am thinking I should replace it all because the additives might not match up 100%. Thoughts?

In the meantime, I will look into coastal or make another 2.5-hour trip to get the Mahindra brand again. Grrrr
When i purchased mine, the manual stated to change out the entire fluid @ 50.
I think Mahindra saves money by putting in the cheaper stuff at the factory.
If the intention was indeed this, they covered their butts by saying change it out at 50 and they cover their costs of the initial oil by having the customer pay for the new oil.
You have to be aware of what might be "promotional" tactics of the various manufacturers use to sell their wares.
If one company is stating to change out their oil at 300, 400 or 500 hrs, to remain competitive and as a sales pitch, another company might state the same thing.
In your shoes and since you are in a warmer climate where you do not get sub freezing temps, I'd just do what the current manual is stating and change out the filter that has picked up the jacket line contaminates.

Also, the new manuals for these things may not give alternative oils any more. More money to be made if all is kept "in the family".
Check out the cost to ship 2 five gallon containers or four 2.5 gal containers of Mahindra stuff to your place.
I'd even do it if it was a hundred bucks. You're gonna use $20 in gas. If you get a speeding ticket cause you're miffed at traveling all that distance, it's gonna cost more for you to go and get it. Then if you get in an accident with some jerk who is texting while driving, that's a whole nuther set of what causes "I shoulda" exclamations.

As an aside, I have a wood splitter that I bought in 1998. I use it maybe 12-14 hrs per year. I have never changed out the hydraulic fluid and it has no filter. I've just added to it.
In 1985 I purchased a couple JD tractors with one in my possession for 28 yrs. I changed out the hydraulic fluid twice. That tractor is still running.
We have simple tractors. Nothing as complex or touchy as a hydraulic run machine that every company sells. Keep that in mind when mulling over stuff like this.
Most of these hydraulic oils don't break down as they don't see the heat of say engine oils. What they do get infiltrated with is moisture. Rain, humidity, washings, etc. can get built up in a hydraulic line making the fluid less effective and with less anti oxidation properties.
The new thinner stuff may be more susceptible to this than the heavier old stuff.
Who knows. I'll change mine out at 500 hrs if it needs it or not.
Same attitude I have for the weekly bath.

Last edited: