2020 load control bushing

/ 2020 load control bushing
Don't know why they didn't use a regular seal with the lip and spring for this L/D bushing. Like the P/S shaft and the PTO shafts. Noticed my rear pto seal has a seep, but not sure what's involved with that. It doesn't drip but just oil seepage below the pto shaft. It probably wears off before it can drip. I hope this is the end of major oil leaks in this old tractor for the duration. Looks like I should be ready for winter anyhow.

Actually the old seals didn't look that bad and they were not brittle like some were. The left side seal was probably worn and it leaked.

Boy, those draft links are heavy. Also that clip (my #3, book item 2) was not spring steel, it just bent, so I just bent it back on. Probably should have gotten new ones. It doesn't do much anyhow once that retainer and pin go on the end.

3 days now since the repair and not a drip on the paper under the seals. Must be working. There was some dirt under the RH o-ring when I got it out, but that seal didn't leak, much.

/ 2020 load control bushing #13  
Something I forgot to state is remove with the aid of installing shim washers all the side motion from shaft. Shaft sliding from side to side when utilizing 3 pt hitch accelerates seal failure.

That must be what the book means by thrust washers. I didn't get any of those. I'll take a look at the shaft play and see if I can find an appropriate washer.

/ 2020 load control bushing #15  
Here's the spec's & part number for thrust washer listed in 2020 PC for shimming L/D shaft.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    52.8 KB · Views: 294
Thanks.

/ 2020 load control bushing #17  
OK, I got the seals and o-rings in this morning. Took about an hour and a half. But, there was no way not to drain the oil at least that would work for me. Maybe it's the early style rod because once you push it back in far enough to get the old seals out and new ones in, the oil just pours out. So it drained about 5 gallons and luckily I was ready for it. It was a bit of a bear getting the rod back in because of course the thick part went out of the bushing and dropped down. I ended up holding it up with a small screwdriver to get it back in. The heat gun worked I guess.

The seals don't look like much of a seal to me, but we'll see. It looks like the seal sits over the o-ring and I don't know what keeps the oil from just seeping around it and the rod. I put a couple pieces of newspaper under each side to see how it's going to work. It's not like there's a seal right on the rod itself. Strange.

Thanks for the help.
I'm also trying to replace the seals. I've got the rockshaft lowered but there still seems to be quite a bit of pressure on the load control shaft since when I slide it in trans housing it gets forced against the pressed in bushing. Is there something else I need to do to relieve the pressure on the load control shaft inside the trans housing? I'm wondering what relaxes the load control arm from contacting the load control shaft so that the shaft can be removed.

Last edited:
   / 2020 load control bushing #18  
Welcome to TBN
Load control lever under seat needs to be set in position "D".

/ 2020 load control bushing #19  
Welcome to TBN
Load control lever under seat needs to be set in position "D".
I did put it in "D" but there still appears to be a lot of side load on the load control shaft. I noticed an adjuster screw on the load control arm when I look into the oil fill hole. Do I need to do anything with that? I was hoping I did not have to remove the entire rockshaft assembly to replace the load control shaft since it sounded like others were able to remove the seals without that disassembly. Thanks.

/ 2020 load control bushing #20  
Do you have 3pt control lever located forward to lower 3pt hitch? One doesn't need to R&R rockshaft housing to R&R L/D shaft seals or normally relocate L/D control adjusting screw.