2021 Western Drought

/ 2021 Western Drought #51  
It would save lots of water to change those golf courses to rifle ranges.

:)

Bruce
Nice, trading one good hobby for another might make it more palatable.

/ 2021 Western Drought #52  
Lots of elites play golf, so golf courses are probably safe

/ 2021 Western Drought
Apologies in advance.

I am so frustrated with climate change I will post this once (why in this thread I don't know), and have it out of my system, hopefully for life.

We are gravely concerned about rising sea levels. So much so, we are willing to let our elected officials force ridiculous changes on us without any real push back. Picking the winner of electric over gas by tax policy and environmental edicts. Changing the landscape of businesses that have employed hundreds of thousands of people over frequently greater than a hundred years. Limiting what we can do with our land, and in some cases our bodies.

If you are of the opinion we can even fully understand our climate, much less manipulate it. If you believe too many of our citizens are stupid enough to live less than 100 feet above sea level, and then too stupid to pack their bags when they wake up every morning and get their feet wet when they get out of bed.

Simple solution:

Take 50% of the money we are using for the green new deal (now called infrastructure), and use it to perfect desalinization technology. If we are too stupid to allow people to build fire breaks on their property, and allow nature to burn and replenish forest as it always has. If we are so stupid that we think just because we had to build the worlds largest aquifer to get water to a dry place, and we let the population grow without any check, we would surely never have an issue.

Perfect desalinization, we could flood the vineyards, water all the lawns and golf courses, and lower sea levels enough to save Florida and NY all at the same time.

Surely if you think we can control a system as vast and nuanced as the global climate, surely getting a little salt out of water should be a no brainer.

Done and again sorry,

ed
I agree with you 100%. The only fly in the ointment is the energy to run the desalination. We need to double the power generation capacity of the country.

As for the people trying not to wreck the climate - it's already wrecked.

/ 2021 Western Drought #56  
Massive floods may refill reservoirs, but the Pineapple Express is warm water and doesn't do anything for the snow pack that carries streams and rivers through the summer drought months.
Eh, atmospheric rivers can still hit in the winter and dump 6-10' snowfalls on the high sierras. Often the rain/snow line moves up really high, to 7000 ft or so, but it still helps the high altitude snowpack. I'm kind of a nerd for extreme snowfall data. I've snowboarded around lake Tahoe a few different times and NEVER got the good pow. Always seems to be 50f, sunny, and limited trails when I go. Pleasant, but not what us wintry folks crave.

/ 2021 Western Drought
Real estate gets pretty scarce above 7000'. Move the snow line down to 5000' and you have 100x as much ground for the snow to pack on. Plus, 7000' is timberline. Lower altitude forest shades the snow and lets it melt slower, resulting in steadier stream flows.

/ 2021 Western Drought #59  
I read this article this morning and found it timely... or preordained from my cookies.

/ 2021 Western Drought #60  
What always intrigues me about these conversations is how the potential effects of the large scale cloud seeding (as currently done in China) would affect locations "down stream"

Doesn't even seem to be something that is considered in weather/climate modeling (or at least not that I've seen)