2022 GMC Canyon

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #51  
East Coast slang for a wild trip and fall. Usually involves windmilling arms and flailing legs!
Lived in New England most of my life and never heard that term. Thanks for explaining.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #52  
The logic on pickup marketing escapes me at times. Seems that every truck ad you see seems to focus on its supposed off-road capabilities, how many people actually do the kind of recreational off roading they show in the ads? Nobody I know.
Depends on where you live. Off roading is common in the west.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #53  
...I have no need or interest in a pickup with a back seat, the extended cab is all I'd ever need. Almost never carry more than one passenger....

I never carry more than one passenger and the area behind the seats is for my dog, groceries, tools, etc. so I'd love a "rear seats delete option" in an Access Cab 6' bed configuration. In fact removing the little fold down rear seats is the first thing I did when I bought my new 2004 Tundra. That mod made for a lot more space in the back.

The logic on pickup marketing escapes me at times. Seems that every truck ad you see seems to focus on its supposed off-road capabilities, how many people actually do the kind of recreational off roading they show in the ads? Nobody I know.

I can't understand people beating their new $40-$60,000 trucks off road but I can see the marketing for it. Trucks are being used less as traditional haulers and more as everyday commuters (boring to marketers), and lifestyle vehicles (exciting to marketers), so they advertise them as such. Especially mid size trucks since Tacoma (the leader) has been doing so for a while now.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #54  
Congratulations. The Canyon is a nice looking truck.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #55  
I never carry more than one passenger and the area behind the seats is for my dog, groceries, tools, etc. so I'd love a "rear seats delete option" in an Access Cab 6' bed configuration. In fact removing the little fold down rear seats is the first thing I did when I bought my new 2004 Tundra. That mod made for a lot more space in the back.

I can't understand people beating their new $40-$60,000 trucks off road but I can see the marketing for it. Trucks are being used less as traditional haulers and more as everyday commuters (boring to marketers), and lifestyle vehicles (exciting to marketers), so they advertise them as such. Especially mid size trucks since Tacoma (the leader) has been doing so for a while now.
Groceries, dogs and supplies is what we use that space for. We also use all of the 6' box our ranger has.

Last edited:
   / 2022 GMC Canyon #56  
My current Ridgeline works pretty well. I can slide long items such as a rifle case under the rear seats when they're down, or fold them up tight against the back which really opens up the space. They fold up tight enough that I left them rather than taking the seats out. The bed is only 5'-2" long but it is wide, 50" between the wheel wells and the wheel wells themselves are only a couple inches high. Then there's the cavernous trunk in addition. It makes a great lifestyle vehicle for camping w/o having to use a bed cover (which I don't like).

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #57  
Depends on where you live. Off roading is common in the west.
*more common
I would say. Even here in the general Lake Tahoe region, while there are definitely people with off-road rigs, the vast majority of people never leave pavement (particularly since so many gravel roads have been paved in the last few decades - I know people complain about infrastructure non-stop but do you remember just how many washboarded gravel roads there used to be?).

I think it's pure marketing; you see a (high-spec prepared with very optional gear probably from someone else's catalog) truck blasting through gnarly territory and you're supposed to think "wow if it survives that [at least long enough for the ad shoot] it's going to last me forever [until i buy a new car in 2.5 years]!"

My wife insisted on getting an AWD not for ruggedness but for the occasional icy morning drive; my (25yo) truck is 4WD because we do occasionally go on some nasty roads up in the mountains getting to some hiking areas (where it's more clearance than 4WD that matters, though the 4WD helps a bit here and there), or we go cross country skiing and sometimes have to take "alternate routes" to avoid snow road closures... oh, and mud around our property.