2022 GMC Canyon

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
Well - I finally replaced my daily driver and 3/4ton truck with one all-round rig. Just bought a 2022 GMC Canyon and I love it.

Crew Cab, Elevation package (midgrade) short bed, 4x4 with the 3.6L V6.

I mean, generally any new car compared to a 2006 CRV with 300K miles is great. But this truck is perfect for me. Now a lot of people will say its a grocery getter because its a crew cab with a tiny bed. But that's really what I need. I need a SUV with moderate interior space for stuff and occasional passengers with a small pick-up bed for dirty stuff. If I need it to tow, it can tow the trailer and tractor (pushing the limit), but that's not it's intended purpose. I've got bigger trucks for that.

The CRV was constantly too small, the 3/4ton too big.

Picked it up on Tuesday and had a couple of short trips already in it. Love it. The ride is great, nice interior, and love the looks. And before anyone says they don't buy a truck for looks, that's fine. Trucks only get uglier, so I try not to start with a heap.

My typical driving is mostly highway and so far the mileage is exceeding what I get in the CRV (summer 24, winter 20) but that is based on the little meter in the dash. According the dash gauge, it averaged above 28mpg on the way into work. We'll see once hand calculated.

Buying anything right now is kinda dumb. But I was at the point with the CRV where its going to need major work, the 2500 is gone and driving the dump truck daily is not practical or possible. The dealers that I spoke with started the conversations by saying: "The price is MSRP, but we don't add anything else".

I compared the GM twins, Tacoma and Ranger. All nice trucks, all in the running. The Ford dealers around me seem totally unwilling to talk, deal and two had the additional "Availability" charge on the window sticker. Not gonna buy a truck for a premium just 'cause you have it. I was actually fine with ordering a truck, but even then I wanted to drive them. A common theme among all the brand dealers were:
- No stock (not surprising)
- Because of limited stock, nothing to drive
- Could order, but no idea when the trucks would come in.
- Limited models
- Could not guarantee incentives
- Some dealers were a bit shady

So, a few weeks ago I rented a Colorado. Loved it (other than the smell, reeked of pot) and focused on the small truck. I like the look of the GMC just a bit better, so I stopped in at two of the dealerships. The first were really nice, but I would have to order the truck. The second just received this one. While I didn't get much in incentives (wife is a teacher, so got the educator discount), the price was not horrible.

I'll try to answer questions ad update this thread if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• Canyon 1.jpg
    Canyon 1.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Canyon 2.jpg
    Canyon 2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 160
   / 2022 GMC Canyon #3  
Yeah those are solid trucks. You could have still gotten the long, actually useful bed you know!

My dad is a Ford guy (sorta) so felt he should buy a new Ranger. But he couldn't live with the tiny short bed. So he got the extended cab, not crew, and the backseat is a joke. Too small for kids even, what is the point? Wish they had offered a crew cab, longer bed option - the 2.3L ecoboost has plenty of grunt to power it around.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #4  
The crew cab/short box must be the configuration that most wanted because:

"The 2023 Colorado will offer just one bed length and cab size, a four-door crew cab with a 5-foot 2-inch bed. The previous Colorado, which went on sale as a 2015 model, also offered a 6-foot 2-inch bed and a smaller extended cab model with a cramped rear seat and rear-hinged "suicide" doors."

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #5  
A friend just purchased the same truck(same color);it's his second Colorado;the other was a 2017.He likes them.The new 2023 are going to be crew cab,short box,turbo 4 cylinders ONLY.Did away with the V6 and diesel.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #6  
   / 2022 GMC Canyon #7  
Glad you like it. I ordered a 2023 Canyon about a month ago. Dealer said about a year for delivery. I'm ok with that, it'll give me time to save up the money to pay for it.
My reasons for getting it are like yours. I have a 3/4 ton Ram if I need a bigger truck. We were looking at a SUV but decided the smaller truck made more sense. (same seating area but more area to haul stuff)

FYI we are going with the AT4 version.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #8  
It's one of the reasons we went with a 4 door sedan and a Suburban and a car hauler trailer.

That Canyon kinda crosses most of the checks off that list.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon
Thanks guys! Like I said, it checks all the boxes for me and really is a sweet ride. The tiny bed is OK by me. It really just has to haul our weekly garbage, hardware store runs, parts, hand tools and such. The dump truck does the heavy lifting (moving the outlaws tomorrow). For work, I often have samples or something dirty that should be in the back of a truck instead of a SUV. Thats where these trucks shine, as a more rugged replacement of a SUV.

It is pretty small, but my daily driver needs to be. Besides regularly hauling smaller items, it also has to be able to fit on streets and in parking garages in Boston. I've driven on streets in Boston where my F450 does not fit. Ask my wife about that one, it was her fault for us being there!

A few nice surprises:
- Big easy touchscreen display with a big power button and volume knob! I don't know why, but I have a hang-up with radios with no knob to control volume.
- Knobs for the HVAC too.
- Slider back window. I know they are expensive and easy to break but I like them.
- I didn't think these small trucks would have Autotrac, but it does. I liked that feature in my 2004 1/2 ton.
- Assembled in the US and about 61% of parts from here. I'd like 100% but still good with me. I know that can get political and all, but whatever. I want a US built truck.
- Mine has a hood liner. There is a shortage.
- If you drive it very easy, its gets great mileage. It's got good power too :) . But you can only have one.
- Backup camera has a towing feature to line up the hitch. Looks useful, but haven't tried it yet.

/ 2022 GMC Canyon #10  
Congratulations! (y)

You'll appreciate the shorter bed if you take into a parking lot. ;)