Oil & Fuel 2130 fuel pickup problem

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem #1  

Ausmac

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 188, JD 2130, Fiat 650
Hey guys. Have not pestered for a couple weeks so I have another question. 2130 has been going well, then stopped today. Thought it was out of fuel. Put 4 gallons in, primed it and it ran for about half a minute. Checked the tank it was about half full. Primed it and ran all the way home about 12 times priming. Looking, the glass filter seems to be running out of fuel below the paper element. Lots of air bubbles coming in. Disconnected the inlet line and blew through it. Pulled the lift pump top off and there was a heap of gunk in it. Cleaned that out and it still will not prime properly by the feel. Get a little bit of fuel going to the glass filter but not lots like I would expect. Something wrong with the lift pump I am guessing?

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem #2  
By inlet line that you blew through, did you mean filter to pump? Or pump to tank?

Does you fuel line connect to bottom of tank? Or at fuel gauge/float access?

Have you checked the vent hose for the fuel tank?

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem
Z5, I blew through the line from pump to tank and it seemed fine. Line looks like it enters under the fuel tank, and I left the fuel cap off the tank when I was investigating. You can see the fuel emptying out of the glass filter under the paper element inside. The manual lever on the lift pump does not have resistance on it all the way, more like 10 percent of the stroke.

Also the number I am finding is re37482. Is this correct? Not sure if I can get a genuine pump or the time frame but I am looking at an after market one. Are they all the same does anyone know? They are hard to cross reference with that part number.

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem #5  
Start by seeing if fuel flows freely out of the tank. Disconnect a line if you need to but see if gravity will allow fuel to flow from the tank. You could have algae or debris blocking the exit line. Blowing back will clear it briefly but the flow will pull it back to the exit.

Well not really an update but it seems to be running. Got up this morning and disconnected the tank to pump line, put compressed air up it with the tank cap off of course. Then drained the fuel filter, heaps of dirt came out. Primed it up which had good resistance on the lever, started and away it went. I am going to get a new filter next time I am down at JD to be sure. It has done 10 hours since I got it going and replaced all filters then. Does it sound strange that it blocked a new filter so quickly? Mind you it had sat for years beforehand. Or did I disturb the gunk in the tank by blowing it out with air? Not sure how I drain the tank, can not get to where the inlet line meets the tank due to the weight frame bolted on the front.

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem #7  
2130 parts schematic I'm viewing shows fuel tank has a fuel drain cock in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-07-26 055541.png
    Annotation 2020-07-26 055541.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Jim. Will check it out tomorrow.

/ 2130 fuel pickup problem #9  
Z5, I blew through the line from pump to tank and it seemed fine. Line looks like it enters under the fuel tank, and I left the fuel cap off the tank when I was investigating. You can see the fuel emptying out of the glass filter under the paper element inside. The manual lever on the lift pump does not have resistance on it all the way, more like 10 percent of the stroke.
Pump stroke depends where the cam lobe inside the engine has stopped. Rotate the engine a partial turn and check lever.

Also the number I am finding is re37482. Is this correct? Not sure if I can get a genuine pump or the time frame but I am looking at an after market one. Are they all the same does anyone know? They are hard to cross reference with that part number.
RE37482 subs to RE42211 and RE527115

Start by seeing if fuel flows freely out of the tank. Disconnect a line if you need to but see if gravity will allow fuel to flow from the tank. You could have algae or debris blocking the exit line. Blowing back will clear it briefly but the flow will pull it back to the exit.
He beat me to this!

2130 parts schematic I'm viewing shows fuel tank has a fuel drain cock in the bottom of the fuel tank.
Jim beat me to this too! Since you have the bottom fuel line, also a bottom drain.

Engine had a bit of a miss and almost stalled again today while working. Again the bottom of the filter was full of gunk. Drained it out again and got going properly. I wonder how much is in the tank? It does have a drain cock, would be fairly slow to drain all the diesel I have in the tank. If it keeps up I might have to bite the bullet and waste it.