2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install #1  

diz

Bronze Member
So I finally received my heater, and ran the hoses tonight. Stopping leaks at the T fitting installed on the thermostat where the temp sender sits was a pain, and I'm not 100% sure I'm done tightening that vertical piece. Should there be teflon tape on that or something?

Real question though is the procedure to fill the radiator and replace all of the air in the hoses. I assume with the new hoses and heater core it's going to take at least a quart more fluid than it originally took. In the old days when I had cars that overheated, I remember starting the car cold with the radiator cap removed, waiting until the thermostat opened, and topping off the radiator after coolant started moving through there. Well I tried that, and made a big mess with coolant pouring out of the radiator once the engine got to about 140 degrees.

So what's the trick? Just fill the rad cold, run, cool, top off, and repeat?

Thanks!

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install #2  
Diz, you are right, it is a pain.... I did mine that way, radiator cap off, fill the radiator and coolant container to the hot level, start the engine, bring rpm to 2600, turn heater on with control knob to maximum heat, top radiator with coolant, put cap on and let it run till the thermostat open, then let it cool and repeat the process. I had to repeat this twice if I remember right.

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install
Ah Thanks. Good thing I picked up that extra gallon of pre-mix last time I was at the dealer. :)

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install #4  
The thermostat has a bleed hole in it so it should burp all the air out without overheating.

I normally set the heater on the floor of the tractor so it is lower than the radiator filler neck. then run it with the cap off until the level in the radiator stays up and the heater hoses are hot.

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install #5  
Where the photos! :)

/ 2305 Curtis Cab Heater Install #6  
The thermostat has a bleed hole in it so it should burp all the air out without overheating.

I normally set the heater on the floor of the tractor so it is lower than the radiator filler neck. then run it with the cap off until the level in the radiator stays up and the heater hoses are hot.

Labrat, that's a good technique. Couldn't do that with mine because its a built-in overhead heater that came with the cab.