2310 Oil filter cross reference

/ 2310 Oil filter cross reference #12  
I tend to take the cross reference and enter it into RockAuto.com Part Number Search. When those come up, I hit the [info] icon. Now it will tell all the details of that filter.

Wix and Pro-Tech filters will restrict the flow too much for Ag tractors. You need a filter that will not go below 22-microns. The tallest filter that can fit is even better. More surface area for continued flow.

I keyed in your NAPA 1568 that is really a WIX/CarQuest brand filter.

Your filter is 21-micron. A tad too restrictive.

So, take the p/n to this site and get more filters like it.

It does show both John Deere and Yanmar filters.
On the page is Purolator. A brand that makes filters for Ag.
Purolator L24458

So I took that L24458 back to Rockauto.com for a second look at the specs.

This WIX showed up being a bit taller to help overcome the restrictive 21 microns.

Now, can that filter height fit your tractor?

Why go taller for a filter? Well, when it fills up, the filter can keep doing it's job due to more surface area available vs. a short and stubby filter.
The Purolator is today's fram. They apparently have had a bunch of bad filters with tears and poor quality and unsealed pleats. I use to seek out Purolator cause they were good and affordable but after seeing many pictures of them and hearing how many people found them with pleats that are unglued or the e core plastic center giving way it's not worth it to me for a dollar or two saved.

/ 2310 Oil filter cross reference #13  
Personal opinion - These Yanmar engines under 1.5 L have oil systems nearly the same as the Japanese cars of that era. Yanmar didn't invent something new and different! So a filter suitable for those cars is a reasonable match to what we need.

Things to consider.
* Dimensions - so the filter doesn't hit the oil pressure sender, or the tie-rod at maximum turn AND axle tilt. (My YM186D add-on power steering has dented the filter a couple of times).

* Thread and mount-surface dimensions.

* Reputation of the filter company.

Less important.
* Drainback valve. Assuming you crank up some oil pressure with the compression release before starting, this isn't a factor.

* Bypass pressure. Change the oil before the filter is so clogged that it bypasses!

* Micron rating? Seems to me anything real close to Yanmar's spec should work fine.

So there are numerous filters in those cross reference lists that should work fine. Just watch the dimensions.

Mitsubishi went to the extreme of having the K3x gas engines. Both for tractor or for 4-cly front wheel drive cars and the Fuso trucks. If anyone needed parts, the autoparts store can still get them over here with no troubles. I've found that really helpful to learn. :)

/ 2310 Oil filter cross reference #14  
The Purolator is today's fram. They apparently have had a bunch of bad filters with tears and poor quality and unsealed pleats. I use to seek out Purolator cause they were good and affordable but after seeing many pictures of them and hearing how many people found them with pleats that are unglued or the e core plastic center giving way it's not worth it to me for a dollar or two saved.

Bummer. I really like their P3001L Ag filter. I use it on my truck!

Wonder if the 3rd party filter maker sells to both Fram and Purolator.

For Wix, Mann-Hummel now owns them. And the Pro-Tech was then merged with Wix. It's a tab better than the normal Wix. I've used several of them already with good results.

Fram was sold not to long ago (again LOL) to First Brands Group LLC. Oddly FBG is really a reinvented company formerly called TRICO, the wiper blade company that was out of Buffalo, NY. They also now own Brake Parts Inc (Raybestos brands). FBG has moved the TRICO HQ to Cleveland, OH and engineering offices of TRICO to Detroit suburbs near the Chrysler HQ in Auburn Hills.

Now here is the best part for FRAM filters, FBG has also acquired Champion Laboratories Inc., so the filtration of FRAM should be much more superior than before. All of this happened in 2020 during the C19 era of panic in the auto aftermarket arena. It would be really nice to see Fram on the come back to a world class filter provider once again.

One thing is interesting about FBG, they now have FRAM and also Autolite. This is 'reunion' of the 2 companies that were sistered 40 years back under Allied Signal that later became Honeywell Automotive.

FBG now owns:
TRICO - wipers, washer pumps, and cleaning systems
BPI (Raybestos) - Brakes
FRAM - automotive filtration products
Champion Laboratories Inc. - Filtration
Autolite - The original Champion Plug company renamed after sell-offs prior to the 1970s.
Cater - Fuel pumps and water pumps
LuberFiner - Filtration products
ANCO - wipers
StrongArm - those lift arms for hoods, tailgates and hatchbacks

Only 2 companies are not back to the family, Bendix and Mirrorex. Allied Signal also had them as well. We know the history Bendix. Mirrorex is all automotive mirrors, heated mirrors and auto dimming mirrors. They were big in the day in the Detroit area across the street from Bendix in the Bendix complex.