2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #1  

Oledadger

Tractor
Mahindra 2538
puffs some smoke and doesn't like to run over 1600 rpm. Dealer was out twice to do the ecu stuff and to his defense I haven't told him about this issue. Just figured I would post here. Sounds like some similar stuff going on with others as well?

any ideas or stuff to chew on would be appreciated.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #2  
puffs some smoke and doesn't like to run over 1600 rpm. Dealer was out twice to do the ecu stuff and to his defense I haven't told him about this issue. Just figured I would post here. Sounds like some similar stuff going on with others as well?

any ideas or stuff to chew on would be appreciated.

Hours on the machine? Last time fuel filter was replaced? Have not seen or heard of this issue on any units.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm
120 hours on machine original fuel filters. All other maintenance done (hyd oil/filters engine oil filters twice now.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #4  
120 hours on machine original fuel filters. All other maintenance done (hyd oil/filters engine oil filters twice now.

Start with a fuel filter and see what it does. We had a 3550 that was down on power with about 85 hours or so. Needed a fuel filter. Common rail systems are very sensitive to debris in fuel and run a very tight filtration system, often with a <5 micron rated filter. Per the operator's manual, it should be changed every 300hrs or annually.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #5  
Start with a fuel filter and see what it does. We had a 3550 that was down on power with about 85 hours or so. Needed a fuel filter. Common rail systems are very sensitive to debris in fuel and run a very tight filtration system, often with a <5 micron rated filter. Per the operator's manual, it should be changed every 300hrs or annually.

Except for the first 50 hour fuel filter change.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #6  

Except for the first 50 hour fuel filter change.

See above. Appears that fuel filter could have 120 hours on it. I do not know the purchase date of the tractor.

I bought it in July. I did skip the 50 hour fuel filters but I bought one so should probably change it out before I do too much whining. I will get after it soon here and report back.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #8  
Also sounds like water possibly in the tank?....Have you had a quick temp change and a middle to empty tank?

Tank is down to less then a 1/4 and hasn't been run much. Typically I top it off because I was using it to much but the weather has turned and it has been 3-4 weeks now. I will do filter first and drain tank out then start fresh. Again, report back when I am done. I am sure you folks have it nailed down and I was never that concerned about it. I would have contacted my dealer and he would have gotten after it right away. I just didn't want to 'cry wolf' since I chose the route of do the maintenance on my own and do not have a lot of experience with diesels.

/ 2538 sputters at/above 1600rpm #10  
Tank is down to less then a 1/4 and hasn't been run much. Typically I top it off because I was using it to much but the weather has turned and it has been 3-4 weeks now. I will do filter first and drain tank out then start fresh. Again, report back when I am done. I am sure you folks have it nailed down and I was never that concerned about it. I would have contacted my dealer and he would have gotten after it right away. I just didn't want to 'cry wolf' since I chose the route of do the maintenance on my own and do not have a lot of experience with diesels.

You might want to switch that order around. When I remove the 1st fuel filter on my tractor it drains the fuel tank of ever how much fuel is in it.
The 1st filter is the cheap paper element and is the low point in the fuel system. It would have been the perfect place to put the moisture sensor but Mahindra put it higher up in the second filter for some strange reason.
Where it is tells you that you have water in the fuel but it's more after the fact, giving you no time or warning to deal with it before it's a problem. Kinda like those silly TV ads for where they have bank robbery and cavity monitors.