25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #51  
Small vegetable farms are a big part of the agriculture in my country. Loads of people will grow vegetables for their consumption and also to sell at local market and then get some extra income, along with their main jobs, so the agriculture work is done after work hours.

All they use is a regular 20 to 50 HP compact tractor and a simple walk behind tiller if they are working with green houses as well and just want a small plot tilled inside.

As far as implements, for the most part is just a rotary cutter, carry-all box/link box, a plow, cultivator, disc, sprayer and a tiller with the 3 or 4 small plow to open the furrows for when they're planting potatoes. Most don't use a loader, however that is slowly changing.

Tractors around here are sold ready to do some work. It's all geared transmission, front weights, draft control, and like 95% have R1 Radial tires for extra traction, floatation, more comfort, less wear driving on the road.

An example of the tiller I'm talking about as I'm not sure if I explained it correctly:

Last edited:
   / 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming
What size pto generator do you plan on running? I read somewhere "they" say 2HP @ the pto per KW. Couldn't tell you where I read it, just that I did.
I was thinking ~15kw. I'd like it to be big enough to power a stick welder in a remote spot if needed, but that's about the biggest load I can think of using it for.

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #53  
Was this because MF switched back from Shibaura to Iseki this year to build their compacts?
Yeah... and the only reason for the model change, that's my understanding at least. It even has the same FEL I have. I'm a little irritated that my stealership didn't give me a heads up (assuming they knew). But Siburaura isn't going anywhere so I should have to worry too much about that account.

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #54  
I was actually thinking about making a splitter with a PTO powered pump. I like to avoid owning small engines whenever I can. They usually end up sitting idle for too long and then giving me trouble, because I was to lazy or too forgetful to drain out the fuel or stabilize it.
Just for reference I had a woodsplitter set up like that once, powered off my single stage BH pump. It worked great behind my 8N, but not so well behind my 27HP Kubota. Kicking up off the governor was a bit slower with the diesel, by the time the RPMs came up the splitter was stuck

Just for reference I had a woodsplitter set up like that once, powered off my single stage BH pump. It worked great behind my 8N, but not so well behind my 27HP Kubota. Kicking up off the governor was a bit slower with the diesel, by the time the RPMs came up the splitter was stuck

I'll keep that in mind. I've never actually seen or used a splitter set up like this before, but I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Do you remember what size reservoir you used on that? I'm not sure what size reservoir I'll go with when I set that up.

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #56  
I was thinking ~15kw. I'd like it to be big enough to power a stick welder in a remote spot if needed, but that's about the biggest load I can think of using it for.
I have a 15kw HF pto special. Best thing I have ever bought. Put 70hrs on it during the TX freeze, ran the whole house and well/septic just fine.

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #57  
I'll keep that in mind. I've never actually seen or used a splitter set up like this before, but I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Do you remember what size reservoir you used on that? I'm not sure what size reservoir I'll go with when I set that up.
I believe that it was about a 4 gallon reservoir.
I also only had a single stage pump, which probably had more to do with it than which tractor I was using. Woodsplitters work better with a two stage.

I have a 15kw HF pto special. Best thing I have ever bought. Put 70hrs on it during the TX freeze, ran the whole house and well/septic just fine.

That's actually one I was looking at. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. Northern tool used to carry something very similar, but it looks like they dropped it.

I believe that it was about a 4 gallon reservoir.
I also only had a single stage pump, which probably had more to do with it than which tractor I was using. Woodsplitters work better with a two stage.

I was figuring 5 or 10 gallons would work. Surplus center usually has those on hand, but I don't want to replace one because it was too small if I could help it.

/ 25hp Tractors for Vegetable Farming #60  
That's actually one I was looking at. I'm glad to hear it worked well for you. Northern tool used to carry something very similar, but it looks like they dropped it.

I bought it spring of 2020, they were $1500 then and I found a $500 off coupon. I see HF jacked them up to $2k now. There are others out there, Dayton is a brand I saw too.

The HF one is pretty straightforward and just needed gear oil added. It calls for 90w, I use 80w-90.