26 Below Zero

/ 26 Below Zero #31  
Cold is relative.

There was a song I heard once that had a line in it that went, 'When it's springtime in Alaska, it's 40 below'.
Well, actually that's nearly true.

When I lived in the Alaska interior, there would come a day in spring when it would suddenly warm up to about -20F.
I would go out in my shirtsleeves, marveling at how warm it felt !

(And even in the mid of winter, when it warmed up from -60F to -50F, I could really tell it.)

/ 26 Below Zero #32  
:eek: .. Fahrenheit or Celsius?
larry

Not sure you are kidding, but -40 F or C is the same temperature. The scales cross at that point.

If you are kidding, please ignore the pedantic reply :D
Dave.

/ 26 Below Zero #33  
Military surplus ECWS (Extreme Cold Weather System) is a good cost effective measure.

Trim your hood with Wolverine fur. It doesn't frost up.:thumbsup:

Not sure you are kidding, but -40 F or C is the same temperature.

Probably about 233 degrees k but not sure what it would be in Rankin.:eek:

/ 26 Below Zero #34  
I'm still visiting the Philippines, probably going to hit 90 degrees again today, was a cool 75 degrees a few days ago, had to put on a insulated sweat shirt.

mark

/ 26 Below Zero #35  
Not sure you are kidding, but -40 F or C is the same temperature. The scales cross at that point.

If you are kidding, please ignore the pedantic reply :D
Dave.

Dang it Dave! You spoiled my fun.:laughing:

/ 26 Below Zero #37  
Well, winds must have been light last night... they say it's -21 down in the valley, but we've got a balmy -16 up here on the hill....:cool:

/ 26 Below Zero #38  
A very important thing to remember in severe cold is to never breathe deep as you can frost bite your lungs and YOU WILL DIE irrespective of available medical assistance.

That will not happen. But it's a good script.

/ 26 Below Zero #39  
28 below here this morning. I went outside and breathed as deeply as I could. Against all odds I survived to talk about it.

/ 26 Below Zero #40  
I'm sorry Jim. I saw your post a couple days back and knew what you were up to. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. :eek:
Dave.

Of course, I'm kidding about spoilin' my joke too.:dance1: I remember many years ago I was proofreading some aircraft technical writing and saw something that referred to -40F or -40C. I struck out the -40F as a typo, but the tech writer (a woman) got the last laugh at me when she pointed out they were the same. If only I had done the math instead of the knee-jerk edit, I would have known they were the same. That was okay though because that same woman tech writer had seen references to pitot tubes on the airplane and did a complete search and replace of all the pitot tube references in the manual, changing them to "pilot" tube.:shocked::laughing: